Mbox Pro 2 Stereo Inputs!!!!?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by houseofoaktree, Dec 3, 2007.

1. houseofoaktree macrumors newbie

Hi
    I have recently purchased a digidesign MBOX 2 PRO. I use it with my INTEL IMAC. I have recently tried recording a pair of BINAURAL MICROPHONES through the MBOX and realised that all the MBOX inputs (apart from the AUX IN) are MONO! Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can record STEREO! I cant believe a product that cost £450 doesnt have STEREO inputs! My BINAURAL mics have a stereo 3.5mm output so im hoping to get a splitter to plug into my MBOX 2 PRO's DI input 1 & 2. But does anyone have any IDEA how I record microphone in stereo through the XLR inputs at the back?! What if I want to use an AKG C414 using figure of eight!? :eek: Not inpressed with this product at all! Any ideas is much appreciated!
    Cheers
    Tim

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

errrrrr...... Mic inputs are mono, you can't fault digi for that. If you want stereo, use two. Figure 8 mics are mono, btw.

3. mrock macrumors member

Most audio interfaces have an option (if not in hardware then in software) to 'mono' an input. This means that if you plug a mic into the L channel on your interface, then the input will come out of both L and R outputs.

Unless you have a dedicated 'stereo' mic you have to use two microphones to get true stereo. Or split a mono track into stereo (assuming you're after panning of some sort).

4. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

You're in a huff and perhaps this is because you feel like you're in over your head. If you chill for a second you can work this out with a bit of macrumors knowhow.

To start with stereo inputs would be a sign of poor quality as most studio analogue equipment uses separate mono cabling so it can be balanced (share a ground which eliminates hum).

The microphones output to one 3.5 mm jack? This is unusual, most quality microphones use XLR.

You need an adapter to make that into two quarter inch jacks. You wouldn't use XLR in this case as they use a balanced output which a 3.5 mm jack carrying stereo doesn't have. You're going to use quarter inch.

So you're going to have to pop to the store. If in doubt you need a "stereo mini (3.5mm) to 1/4inch mono y cable".

To record in stereo in PTLE:

You can make a stereo track and set its inputs to the the two seperate inputs to make one stereo track, or you can use two mono tracks. The advantage of the former is that you can use the same RTAS/AU effects with the same parameters on both halves.

For more on this balanced/unbalanced jibberish tweakheadz

The whole guide will be useful to you.

If there's anything else you don't understand or want to clarify or can't be bothered to read just ask.

Happy recording