MBP '07: Good buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by .co.za, Dec 30, 2012.

1. .co.za macrumors newbie

I would love some advice on a machine I may be able to purchase for 500 of my hard earned US dollars.

I've seen it myself, and all these painstaking little issues seem to be no thing.
    I can also see it again if I so wish, so it's not like I'm taking a leap of faith.
    Just want some advice because I don't want to be shut out of compatibility in 2 years...as I write this from my PPC Mac. :(

Here's the description provided:

"Used Apple 17" 2.4 GHz Apple Macbook Pro 4 GB RAM New 500 GB HD, Hi-rez (1920x1200) Matte with Mountain Lion loaded A1229. I have tested everything and it is all working, except for the camera. It has a 2.4 GHZ Core 2 Duo processor, 4 GB Ram, New 500 GB 7200rpm Hard Drive, DVD superdrive, Nvidia Gforce 86000m GT 256 mb. It has some scratches, a small ding on the keyboard plate, the "{" key has a chip out of it (still totally functional) little plastic missing around LCD (it is also separating (less than 1/8") a little at the bottom of LCD but does not cause any problem), new off-brand battery, still holds good charge (couple of hours), comes with newer 85w power adapter."

Mostly I worry about the processor, because that is one thing I can't really replace without being a ninja or having a good one grand. The screen is great, camera doesn't matter to me, battery is replaceable and the scratches don't slow anything down.

Thanx.

2. amoda, Dec 30, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012

amoda macrumors 6502a

I'd, personally, be mostly worried about the 8600M GT failing. As far as I recall the extended warranty covering the graphic card failures has ended, but maybe someone else can chime in to confirm either way.

Next in order of my concerns would be HD, battery, then ram/processor (as ram would be cheap to replace, and processors are typically long-lived).

I, again personally, would save up for another few months and purchase a late 2008 model with the 9400M graphic card.

Edit: Sorry, for the 17" MBP that would be an early 2009 model.

Edit 2: I looked on eBay and it seems that 2009 17" models go for double the $500 budget you have, so that may not be an option. I don't know, as long as you're aware and willing to take the risk of the higher chance of graphic card failure due to the manufacturing defect I guess $500 would be an okay price.

3. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I wouldn't. NVidia logic board based machine clearly already with display panel issues (separating).. Needs memory, and while you say it doesn't bother you it's going to be 1/4 the cost of the machine.

I'd pass on it personally.

4. .co.za thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting, thanks for the tips guys.
    Not to overload the mind, but I found this for $275 on my local CL. This seems like it wouldn't be fantastic but for $275.. :D

"Applr Macbook pro 15" 2ghz intel, 2gb ram, ati radion graphics 128gb, wifi, 1440x900 display, 250gb hdd, backlite keyboard, Osx snow leopard, computer is in pretty good shape, i bought a new battery 2 years ago and i havent used it hardly at all it only had 100 cycles but since i didnt use it the battery died, no dvd has space for a second drive in the bay, the d key works off and on. But the computer works great other than that 275 firm. "

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd still stay away from it. The potential problems outweigh the benefits.

6. .co.za thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought it!

As it turns out, after discussing with peers, I have purchased it today. The screen is no problem after all. The processor is fine but the machine sure is loud.

Just glad to have a MBP. :cool:

7. samuelk0814 macrumors member

Lol you're probably the only person to buy a computer from 2007 because it is a "macbook pro." My phone has more computing power than your computer does, LOL!
    With $500 I would have gotten a nice cheap iPad or maybe a Dell Inspiron. Both are better buys than that piece of crap you got with your "hard earned money"

8. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Consider adding an SSD to the machine, it will give it an insane speeds boost.
    I'm still using my 2006 MBP at work, as it is still going strong after I added an SSD.

9. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

That's horrible, I would have gotten the latest iPad

10. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Can't say I could recommend buying 5 year old hardware. Old hardware is prone to breaking (and irrespective of cheap replacement cost, downtime/data loss is annoying), memory standards change, external connectivity (e.g., USB, firewire, ethernet, wifi, etc) standards change, etc.

My own philosophy is to bet on 3 years usable life, and expect hardware failure within years 4-5, at which point I have hopefully upgraded. If i get 5 years out of it - great. But i'm only expecting/budgeting for 3.

But... if you're happy - all good.

11. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Maybe the person doesn't want a windows notebook. iPads are still limited on what they can do because you cannot access the file system. Your phone does not have more computing power than that C2D.

I probably wouldn't have paid $500 for it either but being an '07 with an older processor doesn't necessarily make it bad.

12. robvas macrumors 68020

The 2.4GHz C2D is a very usable CPU for day-to-day work. Especially with an SSD. The Core Duo? Always going to be slow, hot, and low battery life.

It should be silent - chances are you have a temperature sensor that is bad or broken.

Download SSDFanControl and you can turn the fans down to 2800-3000 RPM so you don't lose your hearing. Then just wait for the 8600 to fail on you....It's not a matter of IF but WHEN. I personally would have looked for a 2.4GHz C2D Aluminum MacBook or 13" Pro for $500.

13. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

It definitely was a good sell for a 5-6 years old model...
    Good buy? That's what you'll have to conclude yourself now.
    Personally, I would have not paid a cent for it. :) But that's me...

14. .co.za, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013

.co.za thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking about that.

Maybe it's just me but after using 8 and 10 year old mac computers this is a fast computer. :rolleyes:

I have never been opposed to iOS gear but I have never considered a new iPad an improvement over, for example, my new old MBP.

Maybe I am setting my expectations too high, but I have an 8 year old Mac Pro, a 10 year old iBook lying around. I could connect to MacRumors on both...albeit with a bit of MacGyvering on the iBook. :D

Furthermore I don't see my self sitting on this current computer for more than 2 or 3 years. Just wanted a MacBook now and this is what presented itself.

EDIT: Thanks SandboxGeneral for cleaning that mess up.