MBP 07 - Trackpad not work sometimes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fortun, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Fortun macrumors newbie

Hi,

Ive got some problem with the trackpad and keyboard in the last weeks, sometimes the mbp not recognize the trackpad and the keyboard and these not work, searching in google, ive seen info about this problem, but i cant find a good solution for this, a external mouse works, a external keyboard works.

This is happen in some models of the 2007, the cable of the keyboard and the trackpad not connect correctly, if you push in some places of the mbp in the startup both work, but this is only sometimes

Somebody know a solution for this?

Thanks

2. Daelos macrumors member

Ah, another lucky purchase!

Myself, and two friends who purchased a MBP in mid 2007 have all had this problem.

The good news is, it's not a problem, so it will cost you to get it fixed by apple unless you have applecare, though judging by the timeframe, it would likely have expired by now even if you did.

When i took mine to an apple store here in the uk, and politely spoke to a genius about the problem, i was told it would cost in the region of £200-300 to fix (potentially) and was rudely treated with contempt (love those geniuses - only time i've ever formally complained about an instance of customer service!).

Luckily (?) when my Nvidia went, the genius i spoke to was much nicer, and fixed it for free due to the problems i had had with the first genius and the lack of a response from two separate letters sent to Apple's Ireland based office's customer relations dept. That and the fact he had to open the machine anyway and got annoyed by not being able to run the test to diagnose the nvidia issue as it required the hardware keyboard.

Can't find the service receipt at the moment to get a rough parts cost, but know that all things considered it would have cost me about £900 if the nvidia wasnt covered by the extended warrantee, an i think the keyboard/trackpad was around £300.

3. Fortun thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply

Same problem with the Nvidia, luckly it was covert been unless i have applecare, i thought that when they changed the Motherboard the trackpad/keyboard problem would be fixed, and so was, but today this problem went back

I have a poor solution, if i put a little cardboard between the battery and the mac, this make a press and the trackpad/keyboard works, £200-300 to fix this, it's crazy

Thanks, im going to check this thread for more solutions

4. Daelos macrumors member

that was my query hen dealing with the initial apple genius i mentioned. what would happen in the event that it broke again after being fixed; as it seems to be a problem with the heat of the batter/jostling of it against the exposed ribbon cable that causes it to malfunction. naturally, until recognised by apple, no amount of people having this problem will matter anything: as i was told, people on the internet might be lying.

that being said, visited sister at university and popped into the local apple store (was looking to upgrade anyway and wanted to have a look at an antiglare model) and decided to talk to someone; got the manager of the store. asked him about the problem and he agreed that whilst a fix would cost me, the details of the fix are logged against the serial number of the machine, so they know it has happened before. whilst he didnt implicitly say that if it went wrong again they would be able to possibly fix it free of charge, kind of got that impression.

My advice: if thi is the second time its happened to that machine, i'd take it to an apple store and have a friendly chat with a genius (hoping that you get a good one...) just explaining the situation; that it's happened before and you're unlikely to purposely try and break it again. I tried the cardboard/post-it trick on min but it was beyond that stage so it might be worth going whilst that trick still works to demonstrate it to them.