MBP 08' vs MBA 11'

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PS65, Nov 12, 2011.

1. PS65 macrumors 6502

I am sure this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find my particular circumstance/usage.

I purchased the original MBP (Late 08') 2.53 C2D, 4GB RAM, 320GB 7200.

The computer went into repair due to some random lines appears, of which the Apple Store agreed to replace the logic board. I went to pick up the machine today and the problem was made worse. They are now looking into replacing the screen.

My concern is; The machine hardly has the same parts as the original, the only thing left is the case and hard drive. I am out of Apple Care warranty as of this week.

I am thinking of selling my machine (any ideas on value - some are on eBay for £850) and buying a new MBP or MBA. The MBA, however, has a less power graphics card? I use Photoshop a fair bit for webdesign, and I am concerned that I may suffer as a result?

I understand the i5 1.8Ghz is actually more powerful that my MBP's processor?

Any recommendations on what I should do? Can I trust two major Apple repairs in terms of quality? Should I sell and buy a MBA for about £400 more?

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

If you're worried about it, sell it once it is repaired and get the base 13" MBP. Why not the MBA? Because you pay a lot more money to give up a LOT of capability and expandability.

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

the air should be more powerful than your 2008 mbp. But it's still somewhat limited, i.e. RAM can not be extended etc. On the other hand the 13'' has a somewhat low screen resolution, if that's of any importance to you.

I would go with a 15'' base model with hi-res screen. However they are quite a bit more expensive.

4. Pro User macrumors newbie

Seems like you are having the following problem located at http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377.

If I were you I'd wait it out and they may eventually give you a free upgrade if it becomes a constant problem.

5. PS65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mine is a 9600, I have a Unibody machine.

6. Pro User macrumors newbie

7. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Adobe products don't utilize the video card except for zoom and rotate functions. If you are using Adobe products, then there is no need to consider the video card as a factor.

Random fact of the day.

I had a 2.66 C2D with the 9600 and I currently have a base 13" air. It's much faster in all areas except for maybe video games... but I don't play games.

Food for thought :D