MBP 1.4GHz 256 or 512GB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DubCity, Aug 8, 2019.

1. DubCity macrumors newbie

Hi all

I am close to ordering a base MBP

I am ordering either:

1.4 256 GB SSD 16GB Ram for $2136 CDN
    1.4 512 GB SSD 16GB Ram for $2400 CDN

My current 2013 MBP is a 256GB. It’s hard to decide if the extra money is worth it for the 512GB version. Like most of you, back in 2012/2013 I thought higher SSD amounts would be standard by now.

Thanks

2. ruslan120 macrumors 6502

ruslan120

If it’s your main machine and you can afford it I would say go for 512GB. Better have it and not need it than constantly run out of space.

It really depends on what you do and how often you’re close to the limit. As well as whether having more storage will make you more productive (if that’s what you’re going for). Are you constantly close to 256GB?

An alternative is a USB C dongle + usb drive as portable storage.

3. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

Do you have a backup strategy? If not, then that $270 would buy a couple of external drives. One for time machine, one for overflow data. I would ask myself how much data do I really need to have instantly accessible at any time.

I don't keep my iTunes library local because I don't listen to it when I'm not at home and I don't need it to come everywhere with me. Same with my movies, photos etc.

4. Lyrca macrumors regular

Lyrca

I actually ordered a 1.4/16/256 at first and then regretted it so returned it and moved to a 1.4/16/512.

Since I placed my new order I haven't looked back and feel like it was the best move. I feel like I am future proofing my machine better with 512.

Mind you this is based on my needs, maybe you have a NAS, external drives or do not plan to expand your hard drive needs.

5. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Going with 512 will prevent you having to ‘plan out’ your storage needs and constantly manage them thru the life of the computer...i’d highly recommend 512GB for usability as well as resale value.

You can always take alternative approaches (NAS or a small portable SSD like the Samsung T5), but at the end of the day it’s just easier to have it all on your MBP SSD.

Glad to see you’re going with 16GB regardless, that’s definitely the most critical upgrade.

6. Akrapovic macrumors 6502

Akrapovic

I'm considering the new base MBP as my first ever mac. I'll almost certainly be going 256 for price reasons.

Using a USB-C enclosure, I take it an external drive can be mounted just as easily as Windows? So I can shove my existing SSD into an enclosure, plug it in and macOS is happy with that?

7. ruslan120 macrumors 6502

ruslan120

Yup!