MBP 1.83 HDD upgrade after total failure?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Calvin19, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Calvin19 macrumors newbie

2006 MBP, 1.83ghz, 2gb RAM, [dead] 80gb HDD. leopard, final cut pro, aperature.

My HDD finally took a crap, all was backed up, life will go on.

I had the 80gb, and I want at least 200gb.

recommendations? I did a search, and saw a few posts, but those were just upgrades not total failures. is there a dif? I am new to Mac, only 2 years. but will never go back:)

I can do surgery myself. I am a pretty high up rocket surgeon. I even replaced both cooling fans in her after a near burn up re-entry.

I have seen a lot of different drives, do I have to worry about another failure with lower quality 3-party stuff? what all should I order? just the drive and then re-use the other stuff inside?

I am not too worried about speed, but it would be nice if it was the same as the stock 80gb.

how about frailness? anything else?

thanks! sorry for being a re-poster if this was done before. and is re-installing leopard pretty much the same as an upgrade? its mac, so i assume no sweat.

thank you!!!

2. bradbowl macrumors member

I am partial to Seagate Momentus drives. I'd suggest 5400 rpm drives that use perpendicular magnetic recording as they are almost as fast as the higher priced (and hotter running) 7200 rpm drives. Western Digital also makes high quality drives. You can get 200-250 drives pretty cheaply, 320 GB's are still a little pricey per GB.

3. mashinhead macrumors 68020

320 pricey per gigabit??? you can get one on new egg for 150 that's less than .50 a gig. that's pretty good.

4. Calvin19 thread starter macrumors newbie

where should I buy a the hard drive?

warranty would be nice, but if the hard drive is reliable (someone here likes it and has had it a while, thats enough for me)

5. mashinhead macrumors 68020

here get the WD i have it mine. works fine.

6. tip macrumors 6502

tip

I'm running a 320Gb WD Scorpio (removed from a Passport). Works great for me. Lots of people here are running the same drive with no issues.

7. Calvin19 thread starter macrumors newbie

I had a WD passport 80 (i think) and it lasted about a week, after that it crashed, nothing recovered.

any ideas as to why? (thats why I am hesitant to buy a WD)

again, I know very little about this, if it was a fluke, or I am a tard, just tell me. I'll take it.;)

8. Calvin19 thread starter macrumors newbie