Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JSANDK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
OK, here is a mystery for you all. I have a fairly new (Sept 07) MBP 2.2, 10.5.2. I use this machine all the time. I ran SpeakEasy speed tests and got consistently low upload speeds, about 190-225. Download was good, but upload below expected. Had ATT check lines, DSL modem, and was getting 400+ uploads to house. Must be inside wires they said.

I have Parallels running Vista on the MBP. I also have a new MB 2.0, 10.5.2 (wife's), and an older Sony Vaio desktop. So, I ran SpeakEasy tests with them. All of them had 400+!!! Only when I am using 10.5.2 do I see the lower upload speeds. Even when I am on the SAME MBP, but running Vista, I get expected speeds. What's up?

ebel3003

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
"The Google"
Try changing "Full Duplex, Flow Control" to just "Full Duplex" in your ethernet settings, perhaps? I'm not sure how much it would help, but it may be a start.

Ethernet settings are in: Network > Ethernet > Advanced > Tab "Ethernet" > Menu "Duplex"

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I'm getting about 3.0Mbps download and 250kbps or so upload. We have some very old lines around here, so I guess I'm kinda shocked that I'm getting the 3.0. I've never used speakeasy before, so I couldn't give a comparison to 10.5.1.

JSANDK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
MBP 10.5.2 slow DSL upload speeds

Ebel3003, thanks for the idea. Unfortunately, it didn't make any difference. I get the same slow speeds with wireless or hardwire ethernet. And, again, the big mystery, why would the speed double in the same machine using Parallels/Vista? I'm thinking it has to be something in the Apple software. Any other people using parallels noticing this?

ebel3003

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
"The Google"
Ebel3003, thanks for the idea. Unfortunately, it didn't make any difference. I get the same slow speeds with wireless or hardwire ethernet. And, again, the big mystery, why would the speed double in the same machine using Parallels/Vista? I'm thinking it has to be something in the Apple software. Any other people using parallels noticing this?

I find this scenario quite odd as well. What browser are you using? Have you tried a different browser with the speed test?

I'll search around a little to see if I can find some kind of solution, or at least an explanation.

Lyshen

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
California
My guess is it may possibly be the network settings. Possibly MTU or TCP tweaking.

But the thing is, usually people have lower than normal Download, not upload.

Do you have any other program running in background that may use bandwidth? Just had to ask, but I doubt it since you said you ran Vista through Parallels and it worked fine w/ speedtest.

ebel3003

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
"The Google"
My guess is it may possibly be the network settings. Possibly MTU or TCP tweaking.

But the thing is, usually people have lower than normal Download, not upload.

Do you have any other program running in background that may use bandwidth? Just had to ask, but I doubt it since you said you ran Vista through Parallels and it worked fine w/ speedtest.

I wouldn't think MTU because it shouldn't need to be above 1500 unless you need jumbo packets over your LAN. Most routers don't support anything higher than 1500 anyways.

JSANDK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
MBP 10.5.2 slow DSL upload speeds

Ebel3003,

Duh!!! I had only been using Safari with 10.5.2. I tried Firefox and all is well!! Ockham's Razor indeed.

Thanks so much. This forum is wonderfully useful.

And now, the next question - what's up with Safari?

ebel3003

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
"The Google"
Ebel3003,

Duh!!! I had only been using Safari with 10.5.2. I tried Firefox and all is well!! Ockham's Razor indeed.

Thanks so much. This forum is wonderfully useful.

And now, the next question - what's up with Safari?

To be honest, I have no idea what's up with Safari. I just know that I haven't used it in quite a while. :p

Consider trying Camino, which is really lean. I've been using it for quite a while and haven't looked back since.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.