MBP 11 (Preinstalled w/ Lion) and XP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Flea24, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Flea24 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

just got my hands on a blistering 2011 15 MBPro. love it.

Anyway as mine was a BTO it was shipped with Lion and no disks :( this means no XP drivers. i know this machine shipped with SL not so long ago so XP drivers must be out there for it.

any ideas where i can get these babies?

Cheers guys

Kris

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Borrow someone's Snow Leopard disk?

You might also be able to extract the SL driver set from the links provided near the end of this thread, but at least with the Lion driver set you need Lion to unpack it apparently.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=892725

B

3. Flea24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, ill take a look thanks.

I'm just worried that as i have a 2011 MBP, the drivers on an iMac 2010 SL may represent different hardware?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Depends on the version of Boot Camp. The most recent ones for SL will download the drivers (or at least try to) from the Software Update links in the extraction thread.

B

5. Flea24 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, (bare with me)

if i partition my drive for bootcamp in lion then just install XP it will be driverless as expected.

if i get hold of the 2011 file which was talked about in that thread you linked me (thanks). can i just install that and all will be good? i got a bit scared when i read something about validation tables!

thanks in advance

6. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

There are no Apple drivers for XP for your MacBook Pro.

Apple doesn't officially support XP on the 2011 MBP's. You can still install XP, however, you'll be on your own when it comes to finding drivers.

7. Flea24 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i thought that was the case! surely some of the chips are common to at least last years model?

i can easily get the common ones like graphics, possibly sound, its the obscure ones like ethernet, bluetooth, wireless card etc id be stuck on i think, I've no idea of the model numbers

8. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

I think you're going to have trouble with the majority of them.

Most of the parts used in the 2011 MBP likely weren't around during the age of XP. I wouldn't be surprised if drivers were never developed for it. Not sure how backwards compatible Windows Vista/7 drivers are, but you could try those.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Ah yes. Somehow I read 2010.

Apple stopped supporting anything other than W7 for the Thunderbolt equipped 2011 machines even under SL.

B

10. MJL macrumors 6502a

If you really, really cannot do without XP then you'll have to install Windows 7 Professional uner bootcamp and then download from Microsoft the virtual XP machine and run that inside Windows 7. However Windows 7 can run a program in "compatibility mode" so that may be enough.