MBP 11 users: OSX or WIN

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by erkanasu, Mar 14, 2011.

1. erkanasu macrumors 6502

Ot of curiosity, are the new guys with the AMD GPUs using OSX or Windows?

2.2ghz 15" here, I find that the games (e.g. team fortress 2) 99% of the time it runs awesome in OSX but in extreme firefights will hickup for a split second, causing you to die (Settings high at native res). I'm also experiencing some crashing when I change graphics settings. Maybe my 8gb ram in the mail will fix this? maybe not.

2. doh123 macrumors 65816

I only game in OSX... I don't have Windows installed. I may have to install it for The Old Republic, if I cannot get it running otherwise... but that would be a rare exception cuz I love Star Wars and the game looks great.

The 6750 and the HD 3000 both seem to run pretty good for everything I've run... but a few games I play with Wineskin ports, namely Champions Online, are running strangely for me if I leave auto switching on when starting them.

I leave it on auto, and the game gets really low frame rates. I manually switch while its running back to the Intel HD 3000, and the frame rate goes up! If I manually force it to the 6750 before launching the game at all, then it works fine at a high frame rate. its kinda weird.

By the way, in OSX you can manually control which GPU is being used with a program called gfxCardStatus and it works quite well.

3. Udden macrumors newbie

Most games perform much better in Windows. Most of the time you get higher fps with the same graphic settings.