MBP '11 won't boot (have been told it's the GPU)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kassmeow, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Kassmeow macrumors newbie

Help please! On Saturday I had restarted my computer (I always do a restart before I open Lightroom or Photoshop otherwise they run too slow), and then I opened Lightroom to start editing some photos. About 5 minutes in my screen started flickering when I moved my mouse. It did this for about 30 seconds before it went to a constant flashing. I left it for about 10 minutes and it was still full on flashing so I did a force restart.

After I restarted it the apple logo came up and then it got stuck on a white/grey screen. I tried doing a safe reboot and then starting it in recovery mode and still it wouldn't boot. I tried both a few times.

I had someone look at my MBP yesterday and he said it was to do with the graphics card and that the logic board would need to be replaced and this is a common problem with my model (late 2011). I did a google search and found out about the GPU free replacement program. Will this cover me? Most people seem to have working laptops but their graphics are screwy... Mine just won't boot at all. Has anyone else had my problem and had the logic board replaced and it been successful? And how long did it take to repair? I'm a photographer and I have 4 sessions I need to edit so I'm a bit stressed about not having my computer!

Sorry for the length of this!

Thanks in advance :)

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Yup, it's definitely Radeongate.

Depending on store, you can get it back anytime within a day or two to perhaps over a week.

3. Kassmeow thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, thank you!! Hopefully it's not too long but still, I'm happy to have found out about the replacement :)

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes they'll repair your computer, the repair however will not resolve the issue, thus prolong the computer's life. It will fail again. The turn around time is based on how many computers are in the pipeline, it could take a few days or a couple of weeks. The repair itself is fairly simple, just replace the logic board, but it all depends on how long the line is in front of you.

5. Kassmeow thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks maflynn :) when you say it won't resolve the issue, can you elaborate? Do you mean replacing the logic board won't allow my computer to work? Or just that I will have the same problem down the track? The guy that looked at it for me said something along the lines of expecting it to fail again in another 6 months or so. I don't expect it to last ages as it's already almost 4 years old but I don't have the money to replace it. Well, I could pay one off but I want to do a bit of research before I jump into buying someone else.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What I mean is the design flaw that has caused the failure in the first place exists in the logic board that you will get to repair your non-functioning MBP. To put it another way, the repaired Mac will have a GPU failure in the future like your current computer. Apple's repair only kicks the can down the road, it does not resolve the GPU issue

7. Kassmeow thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thank you :) that's the gist of what I got from the person that looked at it. I figure it doesn't hurt to get the replacement to keep it going a bit longer while I try and sort out a new system. The guy said he's surprised mine lasted so long without issues (almost 4 years old and this is the first time anything like this has happened). I'll just make sure to do backups constantly and have a plan in action to replace it next time. Are the new MBPs fine? I might look into an iMac I guess instead this time for my work :)

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's still quite a number of 2011 MBPs floating around problem free, but I know what you mean at this point you were on borrowed time.

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The ones without the dGPU are definitely fine, but I'm not sure about the ones with the dGPU.

That said, the rMBPs have a much better thermal design than the cMBPs did, so I wouldn't sweat it with the rMBP that has a M370X inside it.

10. Kassmeow thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, it seems like I dodged a bullet for a while! I had no idea about this whole thing until now.

Awesome, thank you :) I will check them out tomorrow when I take my laptop in! I haven't researched any since I bought my 2011 one so I better get up to speed with them

11. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I would, just be mindful that Apple will replace the Logic Board with a "refurbished" one than may well fail again in a short period of time if stressed. Personally once portable Mac`s with iGPU`s were powerful enough for my work needs I dropped the 15" with dGPU for this very same reason as I personally don't trust them beyond 24 months of use. Apple`s history of MacBook`s with dGPU is tragic at best, and they have yet to prove different...

Q-6

12. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

If you're unable to get it replaced/fixed or the issue happens again, there's a method that could work, it's risky though, there's no guarantee that it will work, if you can access recovery mode, you can open terminal, go to /System/Library/Extensions and rename/move/delete AMD kexts, forcing your MBP to boot using the integrated Intel GPU, I've seen few people who did this and they were successful, I guess it depends on the model.

You're probably better off getting a new Mac, it'll definitely last much longer.

13. Kassmeow thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm seriously wondering if I should get it fixed for the sake of it but also just get a new one now to save any future downtime :/ I will check out the iGPUs then and make sure I'm getting something that will last (well, obviously not forever, but something that can handle what I need it for). Thanks for that info :)

I wasn't able to get into recovery mode :( well, I could get the screen up which would give me two options for booting my mac but neither worked. Everything I've tried gets me stuck on the white screen. I'm taking it in today so I'll see how I go but I'm definitely lining up a new MBP or iMac!