MBP 13" 10.6.1 Brightness

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pandaholic, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Pandaholic macrumors newbie

I have found only one forum off apple that addresses this issue and I'm shocked that not more people out there have it.

I have a MacBook Pro 13" running 10.6.1 with a 922C panel.
    After installing SL from Leopard the lowest brightness settings became much brighter, almost at the 50% level from before. This seems to only affect people with 922C panels running 10.6.1. Anyone know whats going on or if this problem will be fixed? I really don't mind that I can't go dimmer except for the battery life issue. This greatly decreases batter life from the original 7-8 hours to almost 4-5.

Here is the discussion from Apple.com
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2140773&start=0&tstart=45

2. chrisrottan macrumors member

Turn off backlight option and auto-dim on energy saver.

3. Pandaholic thread starter macrumors newbie

@chrisrottan

That doesn't fix the lowest setting problem. I can turn off the backlight even with this issue, but the lowest brightness setting that is not off.

4. Mhmm macrumors member

I have the same problem... but this has been discussed to death in other threads, man. Go ahead and give those a read... but I'll sum it up for you:

You have three choices:
    • Revert to Leopard and wait to see if the problem is being adressed in 10.6.2
    • Keep on truckin' with Snow Leopard and wait to see if the problem is being adressed in future updates.
    • Go into an Apple store and see what they can do for you. (Hint: not much, but depends on what you say)

Do you have the blueish tint problem as well? This one can be a bit harder to notice.

5. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Yes, I first posted about this quite awhile back. I ended up having mine exchanged at the Apple Store locally for a 15" model to avoid the 9cc2 screen. So far there has been no fix for this although many are holding out hope that 10.6.2 will address the problem. The problem this created was significantly lower battery life for those of us that had this screen. There was also an extensive thread about this on Apple's forums as well. Good luck and let's hope 10.6.2 will fix it.

6. Bokes macrumors 6502

I was thinking of picking up a 13 macbook pro or Mac Air Friday.
    How do I know if I will get the 9cc2 panel- are they all the screwed up
    922c on all 13 macbook pro's?
    If so- I'll just get the Air.

7. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

You don't know until after you open it and check. Yes, I believe all 9cc2 displays have this problem.

8. Pandaholic thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I've noticed the blueish tint. From some research, I heard that was just a new thing with the Gamma setting which is now at 2.2 from the old 1.8 which you can revert to.

A lot of people have gone to getting new MBP 13" until they don't get the panel, but that just seems like so much hassle.

9. ronin510 macrumors member

Blue Tint

I have the backlight problem as well with the 9cc2 display. I'm seeing reports that 10.6.2 doesn't fix this, though can't confirm this myself. People who are experiencing this should really give Apple some feedback, either by phone, at store, or their online feedback site:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbookpro.html

As for the blue-ish tint, I fixed that by using a profile posted by a MacRumors users (omafrieda) on this post:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=8149627&postcount=46

10. redcrow240 macrumors member

Thought id re-post my comments from another thread here.

From another website that considers itself to be an "insider" for apple users mentions:

"As was the case with last week's beta, documentation accompanying build 10C535 reportedly lists no known issues. And while Apple has temporarily ceased its practice of providing a running list of bug fixes that will come baked into the impending release, it did identify 148 components that have seen tweaks.

Among those components are AppleBacklight, Battery Menu, Dictionary, Expose, FileSync, Family Controls, Fonts, Front Row, HFS, Inkwell, iPhoto, MobileMe, OpenCL, Parental Controls, QuickTime, Screen Sharing, Spell Checker, Spotlight, Time Machine, and USB.

In bare bones Delta form, Mac OS X 10.6.2 currently weighs in at roughly 480MB. It's expected for release sometime next month. "

Notice that the first thing mentioned is "AppleBacklight". Is that what we want fixed/addressed? I include myself because I got a macbook pro last night with the 9cc2 screen. It came with that blue tint but theres a color profile in the forums that works beautifuly to correct this. Now I love the way it looks (and its dead pixel free), but yes its much brighter than it should be at one click backlight level. I put it side by side with my unibody aluminum macbook (2008) and it seems like theres a 6(maybe 7) tick difference. Meaning the macbook pro at 1 tick equals the macbook at around 6. The macbook pro reaches a slightly higher brightness when both are maxed out though. This could just be an illusion due to an improved panel. Viewing angles is no contest, macbook pro wins hands down.

I dont think im going to be exchanging this computer at the moment. This seems like its more a software issue than anything else. Please correct me if I'm wrong

11. Mhmm macrumors member

It most definitely is a software issue that can be addressed through updates.
    That's why I haven't even set foot in an Apple store about it, even if I have one 2 blocks away. I like my machine as it is (except the brightness), why try and change it?

Here's to hoping .2 is the one.

12. Pandaholic thread starter macrumors newbie

Could someone explain to me how to use that color profile? I've downloaded it and when I open it, it will open on Color Utility.