MBP 13" 2.26Ghz cant run autodesk????

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zhanjie, Feb 1, 2010.

1. zhanjie macrumors newbie

today my lecturer say my MBP cant run autodesk~
    im not really understand this ~ can anyone explain to me??

2. moel macrumors 6502

He probably means OS X can't run autodesk (assuming your talking about autocad..as autodesk make a variety of apps from autocad to maya)

which he's kind of right...but obviously you can either install it if you've got bootcamp running with windows, or if you've got parallels running with windows.

(he may not quite understand that the whole intel thing)

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

To clarify, OSX cannot run autodesk, windows can, so if you want to run windows on your MBP, you can as well.

I believe there's a number of threads here basically stating that is possible and the performance is quite acceptable. Do a search to see the details. You'll get the best performance by running windows from bootcamp as opposed to vmware. Something as demanding as autodesk, you may want to consider bootcamp over some virtualization software.

4. aneks macrumors regular

depends which app. A bunch of Autodesk apps run osX most of the others should run ok under bootcamp. Underpowered for things like Maya, XSI or Mudbox but ok.

5. guyducati macrumors regular

What will you be doing in Autocad? If you are just doing 2D, you can even settle for doing it in Parallels. If you are doing 3D, I'd recommend installing it in Bootcamp.

6. zhanjie thread starter macrumors newbie

oh ,my mbp is already installed window xp ~ he said ~ want to run autodesk must have QUAD CORE processor and at least 6G ram ~he told me with a very confirm and sure emotion ~;)

7. moel macrumors 6502

He's winding you up!

I've installed autocad on a Pentium 4!!!!

Tell him he is what is technically know as a "wankbiscuit"

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Again, Autodesk is one big company with lots of software.

Many software titles from Autodesk run on almost any current PC (which includes the MBP).

So why don't you find out which software title you mean, go to www.autodesk.com and see for yourself what specific technical specifications this software requires.

Autodesk - All Products

9. guyducati macrumors regular

I'm just assuming he means Autocad-but what year, that is the other question.

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

S/he can also mean 3ds max , Maya, Softimage or even Combustion (I doubt that though).

As long as the OP does not say what software s/he is talking about, there can almost be no further advice.

11. John89 macrumors regular

I use my laptop below to run AutoCad 2010. I'm using VMware Fusion 3 on an ExpressCard SSD. It ran pretty slow when I had it on my Hard Drive, so I moved it to the SSD and I've had no problems since.

12. zhanjie thread starter macrumors newbie

im so sorry , i not really know which software i have to use soon ~
    well ,my lecturer didnt tell me clearly ~
    i take digital animation course ~ so for sure we will use Maya ~
    the other software i not sure or should say i don know will we use it or not.

13. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

So you know, you can run Maya natively in OS X 10.5.7 or higher, though you might want to install a 64bit OS to run the 64bit version of Maya I suppose (it's only 32bit in OS X).
    Here's the recommended specifications for the software.

Good luck with your course!

Edit: Your laptop seems to qualify by looking at this PDF.