MBP 13 (2.3 GHz) - with or without SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scubadiver123, Feb 26, 2011.

1. scubadiver123 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys

Wanted to know if I would see an actual difference in the performance of a MBP 13 (2.3 GHz), if I added a SSD from apple?

I will only be using the MBP for general computing.

Many thanks

2. jordey85 macrumors newbie

There is going to be a noticeable difference booting up but for other stuff it might depend on how "general" you mean lol. Another good thing about SSDs though too is you can flip your laptop around and it won't screw up your hard drive (I really wouldn't recommend this lol)

But from the sound of it you don't really need one.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would get the SSD from aftermarket. For 250$, you can get a faster one and you get to keep the internal HD.

4. scubadiver123 thread starter macrumors newbie

By general I mean: document editing, surfing online, editing powerpoint presentations, itunes, facetime, viewing photos etc.

But flipping a MBP upside down - does sound AMAZING! lol

5. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

Basically anything where you're "loading", could be booting up, or loading applications, you'll notice a huge increase in speed which makes the computer feel more snappy.

Other than that, its up to the CPU ;)

6. Scorpia macrumors newbie

If you add a aftermarket ssd, and you have to take it into apple, do you have to swap your ssd out? I mean you could loose it.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Or RAM or GPU.

It is recommended to put the original parts back in when sending it to Apple. There is a possibility that Apple replaces the SSD with a normal HD.

8. Shambles macrumors regular

I think I've decided on the 2.3Ghz 13" now. What SSD would you recommend about 120GB? I've heard of the Momentous XT.. how would that compare to an SSD speed wise?