MBP 13': 2.44 vs 2.66 Ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by radicaldog, Jun 30, 2010.

1. radicaldog macrumors member

Is it worth paying £250 extra for the faster clock? Could anyone give me any concrete examples of the difference it makes (e.g. start-up times of software and so on)? Thanks.

2. sadcamper macrumors regular

Personally, I'd buy the base model and use that money towards an SSD.

I don't have any solid numbers for you though...I recall reading many reviews online, so I'm sure you can find something, but many of the recent reviews were regarding the i5 2.4 vs. 2.53.

3. radicaldog thread starter macrumors member

I was thinking along the same lines. Except that an older salesperson at my local Apple store told me that one would have to have "more money than sense" to go for a SSD. He said that if I dropped the MBP the screen would probably crack and make the machine a write-off anyway, and the difference in speed isn't all that great. I'm not sure what to make of that. Does the SSD improve battery life noticeably?

4. Beefy macrumors member

In my opinion, that small increase in processor speed is hardly worth the cost. Most tasks are not CPU intensive for the average user and that cost is better spent towards upgrading RAM in the base model. Just my .02

5. sadcamper macrumors regular

He's an idiot.

Yes, the screen would indeed be #(*&$'d if you dropped the machine, but harddrives fail for various other reasons too. Not that durability would be my first reason for investing in an SSD...speed is the main selling feature.

I do agree that they are pricey...so if you require tons of space, now is not the time to go SSD (look at something like the Seagate Momentus XT). If you want to invest a bit more, replace the disk drive with an Optibay, keep the stock HDD for storage, and get a reasonably priced SSD to handle booting, etc. Apple guy definitely won't approve of this scenario though. ;)

6. mytoki macrumors member

i've read that SSD makes everything "snappy" as seen in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyE4u...eature=related

13 inch SSD vs 15 inch HD (i don't think it's i5 tho)

7. apple.gr macrumors regular

Ok . . . .

But if both laptops remain on desk then the SSD 2.4GHz will be faster than the 2.66GHz with HDD.

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Nah, I got the lower one and it was perfactly fine. What are you using it for anyway?

9. GnarleyMarley macrumors 6502a

GnarleyMarley

You think the 2.4Ghz base model will be able to handle Photoshop CS4 or 5? Editing RAW images almost everyday for school.

10. bhattsan macrumors member

You would barely notice any difference at all. I bought the base model and threw in the intel x25-m ssd (highly recommend it :D) This thing flies now :)

11. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Apple salesman is a salesman and a moron. Clearly a SSD and the base model will be more performance orientated than 266MHz clock increase.