MBP 13" 2.4Ghz SATA Link Speed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theinsane, Oct 30, 2011.

1. theinsane macrumors newbie

Can anyone tell me if the latest MBP has SATA III for Super drive also?

I'm getting one and would really like to throw Vertex 3 in a optibay. But if it's only SATA II I'll go with Vertex 2 that I also have.

2. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

Yes, all current MBPs have SATA III in the Optibay, but OWC says this only works properly on the 13" model, even after the EFI 2.2 update. I don't know if this is the case for all SSD drives in the 15"/17" models, but If you're planning on putting an SSD in the optibay of one of these models it may be safer to get a SATA II SSD. Looks like SATA III on the optibay is not a problem for the 13" MBP, though.

3. theinsane, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011

theinsane thread starter macrumors newbie

Great thatthis problems are fixed now. But is the sata speed for optical drive 6G now? Because in the previus model it's not. Only the hdd link was 6G. I'm hoping that in the latest mbp both are 6G.

4. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

Note that OWC say that SATA III/6Gb/s speeds in the optibay are only fixed in the 13" model, even after the EFI update. AFAIK since around mid-2011 all Macbook Pros have been shipping with SATA III in the optibay, though this is possibly nerfed in the 15"/17" models, if OWC are to be believed.

5. theinsane thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx, if it's all good in the 13 inch model, I'll go for vertex 3 in raid 0.

6. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I just looked on mine - the Superdrive does indeed have a 6 GB/sec SATA 3 connection. Negotiated link speed is 1.5 GB with superdrive installed.

7. theinsane thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx a lot Naimfan. That's great to hear.