MBP 13" 2.4GHz vs. 2.66Ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by clops, Apr 19, 2010.

1. clops macrumors newbie

I was considering upgrading my old PowerBook G4 to the new MBP 15" for quite a while and even took part in the waiting game along the lines of this forum. However, I recently came to realize, that a 13" MBP will cover all my software development needs on the road just as well (or even better, as it is smaller and has a longer-lasting battery). Now, the 300$ question:

Is there really that much difference between 2.4GHz and 2.66GHz? I am considering pimping the RAM up to 8Gb and going for an Intel 160Gb SSD. I cannot, however, justify the 300$ difference for a mere 10% CPU performance. Am I being conservative?

2. seong macrumors 65816

seong

If....

You are going for performance with 8GB RAM and SSD, don't think about 13" 2.66GHz. Consider about 15-inch.

You are going for what you need, with 8GB RAM and SSD, then go for 13" inch 2.4 GHz. I guarantee you will regret buying 13" 2.66GHz when you had extra (or possibly additional) money to buy the 15 inch.

I am sorry if anyone does disagree with this point, but I am sure paying extra $300 isn't worth +0.26GHZ and +70GB.

3. DLovett macrumors member

The processor speed difference will most surely not be noticable in daily use, and hardly noticable in benchmarking applications.

Go for the 2,4, and throw in a SSD and some extra RAM if needed.

4. Cerebral macrumors newbie

Save your money, if you want more performance, you will notice a greater improvement with installing an SSD instead...that extra 260mhz and 70gb for $300 is a rip off. In australia the low end 13" is $1399 and high end is $1799 (with student discounts). For me $1399 looked much nicer than $1799 especially considering what you get for that extra premium.

5. clops thread starter macrumors newbie

Good to know I am not only one thinking that 300$ difference is a total ripoff :)

Thanks for heads-up, off to order now!

6. Bushiboo macrumors member

I thought about this too :D Ended up ordering the 13" base model...It will be more than enough

7. carbonfly macrumors regular

I went with the base model and spent the extra money on an SSD.