MBP 13 2.4ghz with SSD or 2.66ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bagoo, Jul 16, 2010.

1. bagoo macrumors newbie

I am considering 3 options (all cost about the same)

2.4 ghz with 128gb SSD from apple
    2.4 ghz with 160gb SSD (intel) that I would put in
    2.66 ghz standard

Which do you think I will get the best performance out of? Things I generally do - internet, microsoft office, mail, and skype. Also I tend to have lots of things open and one time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Definitely the #2, 2.4GHz with Intel SSD. The bump in CPU speed is unnoticeable unless you do something CPU intensive day after day (such as video encoding). Intel SSD is a lot faster than Apple's and also bigger plus you get the stock HD

3. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Agreed ................... with the admonition to also look at the Crucial C300 128/256G SSD.

JMO, but the 2.66GHz MBP isn't a very good value.

4. elleana macrumors regular

5. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Whatever you do not buy the 2.66GHz model.

But option 2 seems like the best idea, Intel SSD> Apple SSD.

6. TrojanX macrumors member

TrojanX

I would go with #2 because you have the standard drive as a back up. Just a tip, if you do bring it in for a problem unrelated to the hard drive switch the original one back in because Apple has a bad track record with blaming most problems on the replaced hard drive. Just a tip.

Also, if you pick up the latest edition of Macworld, there is a section of speeding up you mac. It goes, in depth, into SSD and even has a chart that times a lot of performance things. They suggest the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro RE SSD is the fastest overall. I will see if I can find that chart for you online somewhere.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Plus Apple is known to change the SSD for HD and not returning the SSD so you don't want to lose your 400$ SSD

OWC is definitely one of the fastest for SATA 3Gbit/s at the moment. 285MB/s speeds are amazing! Here is one comparison.

8. TrojanX macrumors member

TrojanX

Just as a cautionary note, avoid kingston SSDs because they are a lot slower than comparatively priced models. Also, SSDs have a reputation of slowing down after a few years, or so says Macworld, and I would definitively try to find one with a 5 or so year warranty. The OWC one I suggested comes with a 5 year warranty.

9. Kahalu'u Bob macrumors 6502a

Kahalu'u Bob

I went with a 13" with the Apple SSD because having AppleCare cover the whole package was worth it to me.

10. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

This comment is bvllshit. I own a Kingston V+ series SSD and if you want to call it slow, be my guest. I guess if you are counting nano-seconds or pico-seconds between drives, then it may be slower, but I'll take my 15 second boot times and under 2 second app load times and compare them to any other drive out there.
    AndsSo far not a single issue with it. I'll recommend my 128GB SSD to anyone, especially at a price of $279.

11. bagoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the help! I am going with the ssd and the 2.4ghz.
    I decided to order the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro RE 100gb because of the over provisioning and the ability to safely raid it if I want to upgrade to that at a later date.

12. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

That would be theft. I don't think they would do that here in Taiwan but I suppose this would depend on where you are at.

13. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

Agreed.

I have a Kingston 64gig, and no its not the fastest drive on the market, reading it is, but writing it's slower than other SSD's but still 2x the speed of a physical drive.

I paid $97 for it on sale but then again I have no need for local storage, everything is stored on a server so it was a perfect setup and price.