MBP 13" 2.7ghz or 15" 2.0Ghz

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TimCarpenter, Sep 11, 2011.

1. TimCarpenter macrumors newbie

Hey folks,

Stuck trying to make a decision between the high end 13" MBP and the entry level 15". In either case, I plan to upgrade RAM asap to 8GB via OWC.

I will be using this computer for my day job (which requires Windows 7 and related apps - including a local SQL server). In my off time I do photography so will be running photoshop (currently still on CS3).

I really want to believe the high 13" will meet my needs just fine. Mostly due to size for traveling. I travel a couple of times a month and have gotten use to a lighter weight and size DELL laptop. I'm worried the 15" will be too bulky and almost impossible to use on a plane.

So, am I crazy? Am I fooling myself that the 13" could handle my needs without any issue?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The 13" could easily handle your needs. In fact, you could save yourself $300 and get the 2.3GHz 13", which will be just as capable.

3. TimCarpenter thread starter macrumors newbie

I should add that I shoot in RAW all of the time so do run some batch conversions in PhotoShop. Right now I shoot with a Canon 5D. I could work with larger files in the future that would require a little more horse power.

The 13" can handle the conversions and batch work okay?

When I'm at home, I work with a 24" Lacie Display.

Apple keeps telling me that the 13" could work, but the 15" would be a much better choice....which really isn't telling me anything.

4. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I got a refurb 2011 13in i7 and put in 8gb afterwards.

5. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

They are probably telling you because it is a quad core machine that handles multiple threaded apps better. But, your decision all comes down to screen size and weight. Personally, 15in is just perfect.