Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TimCarpenter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Hey folks,

Stuck trying to make a decision between the high end 13" MBP and the entry level 15". In either case, I plan to upgrade RAM asap to 8GB via OWC.

I will be using this computer for my day job (which requires Windows 7 and related apps - including a local SQL server). In my off time I do photography so will be running photoshop (currently still on CS3).

I really want to believe the high 13" will meet my needs just fine. Mostly due to size for traveling. I travel a couple of times a month and have gotten use to a lighter weight and size DELL laptop. I'm worried the 15" will be too bulky and almost impossible to use on a plane.

So, am I crazy? Am I fooling myself that the 13" could handle my needs without any issue?

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
The 13" could easily handle your needs. In fact, you could save yourself $300 and get the 2.3GHz 13", which will be just as capable.

TimCarpenter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
I should add that I shoot in RAW all of the time so do run some batch conversions in PhotoShop. Right now I shoot with a Canon 5D. I could work with larger files in the future that would require a little more horse power.

The 13" can handle the conversions and batch work okay?

When I'm at home, I work with a 24" Lacie Display.

Apple keeps telling me that the 13" could work, but the 15" would be a much better choice....which really isn't telling me anything.

And1ss

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
I should add that I shoot in RAW all of the time so do run some batch conversions in PhotoShop. Right now I shoot with a Canon 5D. I could work with larger files in the future that would require a little more horse power.

The 13" can handle the conversions and batch work okay?

When I'm at home, I work with a 24" Lacie Display.

Apple keeps telling me that the 13" could work, but the 15" would be a much better choice....which really isn't telling me anything.

They are probably telling you because it is a quad core machine that handles multiple threaded apps better. But, your decision all comes down to screen size and weight. Personally, 15in is just perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.