MBP 13" 2011 External monitor resolution problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thelostgeek, May 19, 2011.

1. thelostgeek macrumors newbie

Hi ,
    I tried connecting my new 13" 2011 MBP to external monitor (sony 22" BX300) through display port to VGA connector. The screen does not get detected without setting the resolution to 800x600. Once it detected , i tried changing the resolution but it just says at the bottom that "Usable resolution 800x600" See attachment. This is in mirror display mode. When i try removing the mirror display the external monitor blanks out.

What wonders me is that the external monitor works great with my other windows laptop in 1280x768 on mirror and 1920x1080 on projector only mode. Any idea what might be the issue ?

This is my 3rd adventure with this new MBP. Hoping to sort out all the issues soon.

Attached Files:

2. the_fellowship macrumors regular

3. joostlenders macrumors newbie

Have you tried changing the resolution in clamshell mode?

4. thelostgeek thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks the_fellowship,joostlenders for your suggestions.

@the_fellowship: I dont have the DVI adapter so could not try that.

@joostlenders: I just tried the clamshell mode. It is working. I could set the screen resolution to 1280x768.
    But my concern is , do i have to always have an external keyboard/mouse for connecting to the external display ?
    I travel a lot and do presentations (connecting to projectors through VGA) at different locations. I might not have access to an external keyboard/mouse always.