MBP 13" 2011 fan noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kristoffer4, Feb 28, 2011.

1. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

How bad is the fan noise on the stock MBP 13" 2011-
    When idle?
    When watching HD flash video. :)

2. metalmad macrumors newbie

i would also like to know this i want to buy the new 13" mbp but am worried about constant fan noise. My current black macbook has terrible heat issues and the fan is on all the time. The last thing i want is to upgrade and still have the same constant fan noise it gets very annoying :)

Thanks

3. 1quick1 macrumors member

I've noticed just general browsing, documents, email the fan doesn't kick on and it is whisper quiet. When I was playing the demo for StarCraft 2 last night on low or medium settings it got pretty hot and the fan was definitely at max speed.

4. metalmad macrumors newbie

Thanks that's really helpful I think i'll pull the trigger on the i5 i really need to upgrade from this current laptop

5. kristoffer4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

Any one else want to share their thoughts on this?

6. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

Upgrading from a 2010 13", there is no significant changes when browsing the web, word processing, etc. However, when skype chatting, I noticed the fan was louder. I went to istat and of course, the temperatures were higher than on the 2010.

7. DudeMartin macrumors regular

Well I was watching YouTube right now, and had some programs open, the fan wasn't even on yet, so the computer was dead silent.

When you're doing basic stuff, browsing, email, music - the fan either doesn't turn on (most of the time) or spins at a rather low speed, so you can't really hear it. The only time that I really noticed the fan turn on was watching like full-screen HD YouTube video, but it wasn't going at full speed, so it was OK.

Now when you play games, the fan is definitely audible, and is pretty damn loud, too. But that doesn't bother me because the audio of the game drowns out the fan noise. Also, in neither situations does the computer get uncomfortably hot (compared to my brother's PC, which like almost burns me when my wrist is placed next to the touchpad while doing something intensive).

Overall, the fan doesn't turn on for regular use. If you do more intensive stuff, gaming and watching HD video - it will turn on, but it isn't experience-ruining (the noise). The 2011 i5 13" generally runs very nicely, I can keep it on my lap for hours comfortably.

8. kristoffer4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

Ahh ok. Thats what I feared. My friends mbp 13" 2010 doesn't say a thing with HD youtube. Guess it is because the Intel HD3000 doesn't support flash video decoding. :(

9. DudeMartin, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011

DudeMartin macrumors regular

Actually, though I may be wrong, YouTube uses H.264 for their HD. And Sandy Bridge has built in hardware H.264 decoding.

Well I just did another quick test, the fan noise is very ... passive. I mean I had to like put my ear next to the screen in order to really hear it and notice. I wouldn't be worried about it to be honest, it really isn't that loud. I didn't even notice the fan was on.

(I watched a 1080p YouTube video)

10. parkm13 macrumors regular

i just got my 13'' i5 and it is very quiet, most of the time you barely hear it. it wont be a problem.

11. jp700p macrumors regular