MBP 13 2011 Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by george315, May 25, 2011.

1. george315 macrumors newbie

1. Do the fans get loud if you have it on your lap while using Safari, Itunes, iPhoto, or iMovie?

2. Do the fans go to full when playing games (such as Portal 2, Civ IV, Civ V, or X-Plane 9) ? I was wondering because my parents 15" MBP from 2009 rarely heats up enough to have the fans on full while playing a game.

Thanks in Advance

2. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

3. Kentochan macrumors 6502

Kentochan

1. On iMovie yes, otherwise no

2. When I play StarCraft II or Minecraft, the fans go full blast at 6200 RPM

4. rossmadden macrumors member

1) if you run stabilisation or something intensive on iMovie, then yes the fans kick in and it gets hot. I think mine got up to 90c. Otherwise, its ok.

2) on portal 2 it goes between 4000-6200 rpm.

5. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Pretty much any computer will run hotter when you are pushing it with video encoding or gaming. The 13" is no different.

6. Thares macrumors regular

Thares

Hey,

I had the top-end 2011 13" MBP for a short time and I returned it, because it got

a) really hot
    and b) really loud

when I played SC2 or was just surfing on the web. I'm serious. It even to hot when I was listening to music. Don't know what was up with that MBP. I compared it to my brother's older MBP and his didn't get as hot as mine got by far.
    Well, of course my all results are absolutely subjective.

I am not sure if I would really get the new MBP 13". The MBAir I had for a couple of days was way better in every direction. Smaller, thinner, cool as an ice block and silent as, well, the absence of noises. :D

Cheers

Thares

7. Captain Dynamo macrumors member

Ditto.
    If I'm ripping with Handbrake fans come on strong, and CPU almost maxes out (however, I'm happy that my MBP can simultaneously rip with Handbrake and stream video from iTunes to Apple TV2.

8. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

It will get warm using iMovie if you are rendering.

And yes its gets warm playing games. Just so you know, so does the 15!

9. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

I have the new 13" base model. I've had no issues with overheating or loud fans. Haven't done anything too heavy duty with it yet, but it spends most of the day on, with Safari and Mail open. Frequent web browsing etc.

I've done some photo editing in GIMP with no negative results. I've also worked on a few large Keynote presentations, loaded with graphic animations and video with the same result.

The most intensive use at once was during a presentation. 40" HDTV was hooked up as a secondary monitor to play the Keynote. The lid was open the entire time. One iPhone and two iPad's were hooked up via wifi through Keynote remote at the same time (one actually controlling, the others just viewing the speaker's notes). The presentation was about 90 minutes and included video. It was then followed by other smaller presentations on the same machine which were downloaded while the other was running.

I'm a recent PC convert, I know my old machine would have been screaming at me during something like that. My examples probably qualify as light usage by many on the forum, but I'm impressed. I'm also impressed that I didn't have to plug it in and still left with over 60% of my battery.