MBP 13" 2012 i5 or i7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by luke71933, Nov 2, 2012.

1. luke71933 macrumors member

Hi,
    I can afford both of the mbp 13" mdoels so which one should i get i5 or i7 wont be gaming but will be doing game development and programming and I will need this laptop to be able to run applications with no lag for the next 5 years.there's only 140e difference in price.I will be multitasking heavily on this pc too.Is the resolution enough for me just to do programming and general sue of computer , If i download a 1080p movie and I connect it to my tv which is full HD will the resolution of the macbook which is 1280 x 800 effect the quality on my TV?

2. Maczor macrumors regular

Although the i7 is not a tremendous boost, since you'll be doing development, I'd suggest you get the i7. It will cut compile times a tiny, tiny bit ( again, not a tremendous boost, but a boost nonetheless )... I use my for the same purpose ( just that doing mainly Flash / Flex / Air and Java development... no native stuff ).

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

If the money's not an issue, and you're not going to upgrade anything yourself immediately, go for the i7 - it offers 8 GB RAM and 750 GB HD space, as well as the (slightly) faster processor.

If, on the other hand, you're going to upgrade it yourself right away, get the i5.

Either one will do everything you want it to.

4. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

I'd say go for i7. Your 1080p content will play at 1080p when you connect it to your tv so no worries about your mac book resolution :)

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Go for the i7.

That being said, I really doubt you're going to be running a computer for 5 years with no lag. Your best bet would probably be the 15" MBP since it had a quad core processor and discrete graphics.

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

i7 if you're going to keep it for 5 years.

I'd also add a Samsung 830/840 SSD and 16GB 3rd Party RAM like Corsair, Kingston, GSKill, Geil, Crucial, etc.

Those upgrades will ensure more longevity, especially over a slow traditional HDD.