Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jas9

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2016
MacBook Pro 13" 2017
Sierra 10.12.6

This has happened a couple of times now. Unfortunately, I didn't save the error report. Next time, I will. Every night, I just close the lid of my MBP and put it away and it goes to sleep. I almost never shut it down. Today, when I opened it for the day, I logged in and saw that the background wallpaper was reset the the default one (mountains). Apps which I left opened were not open anymore. And i was seeing that error message telling me that my computer unexpectedly shutdown. Note the computer did not start up when I opened the lid, it was on the login screen like it is every day when I open the lid. This tells me that the computer did not shut down, it restarted while it was in sleep mode. Any ideas what causes that? And why does desktop wallpaper gets reset to the default one?

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
A restart in sleep mode (likely a crash due to the message) is a potential hardware failure. I had this and it took them a few attempts to find and it only went away after a motherboard swap, so if I had to guess then you need a repair.

The wallpaper setting for the desktop might not be saving due to the crash. If you set the wallpaper and then restart, does it keep the new wallpaper?

jas9

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2016
A restart in sleep mode (likely a crash due to the message) is a potential hardware failure. I had this and it took them a few attempts to find and it only went away after a motherboard swap, so if I had to guess then you need a repair.

The wallpaper setting for the desktop might not be saving due to the crash. If you set the wallpaper and then restart, does it keep the new wallpaper?

Its going to suck big time for me if its a hardware issue. No Apple stores in my country.
Yes, it keeps the wallpaper if I restart or shutdown and turn it on again. Only with these crashes it reset the wallpaper.

jas9

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2016

Is it possible to run some scan to find out if there's a motherboard/hardware issue?

Today after waking up from sleep, there was a new issue for the first time. The left click stopped working completely. The right click was working. I had to shut down the machine and then start it again and that fixed the problem.

EDIT: I ran Apple Diagnostics to see if there are any hardware issues. It came back with "No issues found". And reference code ADP000. Does this mean that this in fact isn't a hardware issue?

Last edited:

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
Is it possible to run some scan to find out if there's a motherboard/hardware issue?

Today after waking up from sleep, there was a new issue for the first time. The left click stopped working completely. The right click was working. I had to shut down the machine and then start it again and that fixed the problem.
Diagnostic mode might show something but not always (hold D while the Mac is booting up): https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201257

You can also try a SMC reset: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201295

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.