MBP 13" 2GB to 4GB ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djarsalan2006, Jun 22, 2009.

1. djarsalan2006 macrumors regular

Hey guys, i bought the 2.26 ghz version, not totally impressed with the speed ...will switching to 4gb make like a good difference in the speed ?

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Depends. If whatever you're doing is RAM dependent, then yes. What are you doing that you find is too slow and looking for a RAM upgrade? For the most part, even with 2GB, things should be snappy.

3. djarsalan2006 thread starter macrumors regular

all i mostly do for now is web surfing, music production and djing ..well i used to own a whitebook 2.4 with 4gb ram , i dont find the one i have as snappy as that one ....how could i improve the speed ?
    even in the web surfing, its not as fast as the whitebook i had

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Hmm...that is awkward. With the 13-inch MacBook Pro, doing basic stuff like web browsing should be snappy, even a computer equipped with 512MB would work just fine. I know I feel/see no difference from 2GB to 4GB with my 15-inch. As for, production and DJ'ing, I don't know how large those applications are but I'd make the move to upgrade to 4GB RAM as the cost is fairly cheap, 4GB kit for $63 from Crucial.

5. djarsalan2006 thread starter macrumors regular

awesome, what about having a largeer hard drive such as 320 gb, would that help as well ?

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If you search the forum, it'll come down to one of these two:

Western Digital 500GB Scorpio Blue 5400RPM
    OR
    Seagate 500GB Momentus 7200.4

It's pretty mixed between the two but one of the major complaints is that the Seagate HDD can be noisy and produces a bad vibration (some say they haven't experienced it). Since that one factor is hit/miss, some suggest it would be best to go with the Western Digital HDD because it offers comparable performance to the Seagate at lower price basically bang/buck and you won't have to worry about noise/vibration. Upgrading you HDD and RAM, you probably will see a slight performance bump and even more if you push your computer.

7. djarsalan2006 thread starter macrumors regular

well, i dont need that much hdd, would this work as well ?http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136197

8. qpid macrumors regular

9. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Look at your memory usage in Activity Monitor. Often times I am under 2GB of memory usage do the same kinda light work as you but there are times when I slip into about 3GB used and I haven't even really pushed this guy.

Can't believe I used to work on 1GB of RAM. :eek:

10. sneeks macrumors 6502a

I've noticed a definite improvement from installing a new HDD and 4GB RAM.

11. lekun macrumors regular

500 GB HD May Be a Smart Move

Hard drives can speed up a computer in a couple of ways. One, hard drives get slower as they fill up. So a HD with 300 GB of data on a 320 GB HD will be slower than that same amount of data on a 500 GB HD. So even if you don't "need" the 500 GB it may be faster. Two, HDs that spin faster are generally faster. Additionally, (and this is generally speaking) in notebook drives, the larger the drive, the higher the density. I.e. to fit 500 GB in the same enclosure as a 320 GB drive, you have to cram in the data closer. The closer the data, the quicker it is to find.

Thus a 500 GB HD could be a lot faster depending on your usage. Maybe more significant than a RAM upgrade. Especially, if your slow down is because you have so much music, and it is filling up your drive.

12. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I just got the 500GB WD scorpio to put in my macbook. I also put that drive in my daughters MBP a month ago. At 90 bucks from newegg its a deal. I didn't check but getting the 320GB might only save you 25 dollars.

13. tm.chen macrumors member

Upgrading to 4gb and 320gb 7200rpm HDD should be enough.

14. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

How can it be any faster. My computer is almost 2 years old and after rebooting safari takes 1 bounce to open, then after that opening it is instant. Noticing .003 second vs. .001 is impossible. I can't see how it could get any faster.