MBP 13" + 2nd Monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SD-B, Sep 25, 2014.

1. SD-B macrumors 6502

SD-B

I have a 13" Macbook Pro and am likely about to buy a 13" new Air BUT someone gave me a brand new
    ASUS MX239H 23" IPS LCD Monitor with LED Monitor, which hasn't been opened.

I figured I didn't have any use for it and was just going to throw it up for sale on my local Craigslist BUT I started to wonder whether it would be worth keeping it for my own set up?

Could I run a second monitor to my laptop build in one and if so, why would i want to do it? And if so, what would I need?

This is the URL showing it. I am very out to touch with Windows related hardware so not sure if its a good monitor or not anyhow?

http://www.staples.ca/en/ASUS-MX239H-23-inch-IPS-LCD-Monitor-with-LED/product_69409_2-CA_1_20001

Better question I suppose would be, GIVEN this monitor WOULD you bother to use it with your MBPro or not?

TIA

I would like to add that i was given an $800 Samsung laptop brand new 8 months ago and i still haven't properly finished setting it up.
    Why?
    Because compared to my macbook pro, I think the screen is lousy.

I suppose its supposed to be a good screen but compared to Apple screens, I have so far found Windows related screens not overly clear.......hence not sure i would use this anyhow but wanted to hear what others have to say first.

2. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Well, I guess the question is - do you think you need more screen space when working on your laptop? A 2nd display is not all that uncommon a setup. You can certainly hook it up, but I think you will need a minidisplay-to-HDMI cable.

3. SD-B thread starter macrumors 6502

SD-B

I guess I really don't so that was the right question to throw at me........thanks, I suppose it sounded great in theory but you are right I don't really need it.

I was hoping someone would convince me that i needed it. But i really wasn't sure why I would use it or for what reason.....

Thank you

4. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Well, speaking from experience, I have a 2nd monitor at my workstation, but truth is, I don't rally plug it in that often, because I don't spend that much time at my desk to begin with. Though it's really handy when I need it.

Not to mention that to use it optimally, you will want an external keyboard and mouse as well, plus a stand for your laptop, an adaptor, possibly a usb hub to manage all the cables. It's not as straightforward as plugging your monitor to your laptop and expecting it to 'just work'. You will likely need a bit more investment.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411709912.508498.jpg

I am not the neatest of workers, so expect it look something like this.

Unless nature of your work really requires a larger screen, I say sell it for some extra cash.

5. SD-B thread starter macrumors 6502

SD-B

Hmmmm. Now you have me thinking.....

Love your set up.
    I am however at my computer 24/7 ( except when sleeping )

Its at a table in the living room so while the family is watching TV, or cooking, etc, I am in the corner on this but can see the TV and engage in conversation but I do buy and sell online, hence, why I am there answering people all the time.

OK so interesting what you had to say about the externals. The investment is not a problem but one last question if you don't mind?

If I were to set it up, will that monitor just be a copy of whats on the laptop screen OR can it be used, almost, sort of like a second computer but taking power from the one its plugged into?

In other words could I type on it and answer you as i am doing now, using the big screen, all the while the laptop I could be switching to that to answer emails, browse the web or not? ( i suspect not )

My table already has 2 Macbook Pro 13" laptops up on stands.
    One is getting too old now and I use it strictly to download movies and TV shows to, and then send it through my apple TV to the big living room TV. (late fall 2009)

I have a 1 year old $800 Samsung windows laptop as well in the middle but its usually closed
    Supposed to be a good laptop but I tend not to use it
    I remember what it is about windows i don't like.
    ( i mention $800 cuz i am shocked at how poor the screen is compared to the macbooks)

So I am still deciding as I tend to think i am just getting a bit carried away with too many computers and likely don't need this one and should just sell it but that question/answer will have me make my choice once and for all.
    I doubt it will do what i am asking and it does sound as if you never run yours either, so its likely a waste to keep it.

You know what?
    i WILL just sell it but i am still interested in the answer to that question, simply because i really don't know what the monitor makes it capable of doing.

It just sounds to be so far as if it is really only necessary to have IF you are working on Photoshop or film editing, etc and need a bigger screen. But I am just interested in knowing if it were set up as you suggested, if i could use that monitor for an entirely different window and/or job than what the laptop its plugged into is doing?

Thanks again for all of your help ;)

6. elvisidal macrumors member

elvisidal

i'm running some 21" benq monitor off my late 2011 13" MBP and have been for well over 2 years.I used a $2 HDMI to thunderbolt cable from ebay.
    what do I do with it? 99% of the time I have quicktime or some streaming website full screened on it while I do my 'work' on the 13" screen.
    I've maxed my RAM which then also gives me 512mb on the video card.but it's been like that since day 1 so I dunno if I remove ram would i see any performance decrease.
    Bottom line if you've got it why not?Personally i think 1280 resolution is garbage but at the time I needed the smaller MBP over the air or a 15"
    Times have changed though and one day I'll get around to changing my setup almost bought a mini last week ...

7. zwodubber macrumors 6502a

nothing wrong with too much workable area.

Home setup. 25" LCD and 32" LED

[​IMG]

Work, desk 1. (2) 22" HP LED's

[​IMG]

Work, desk 2. (2) 48" LED's

[​IMG]

View of desk 2 from desk 1 (main work area)

[​IMG]