MBP 13.3" mid-2009 RAM question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Branskins, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Branskins macrumors 65816

I have 2 GB of RAM in my MBP and I think it's about time to upgrade! I have a few questions:

I would like to upgrade to at least 4 GB...but the question is, do I go 2x2 GB sticks or one 4 GB stick?

One 4 GB sticks allows me to upgrade to 8 GB easily in the future, but this means I would be mixing a 4 GB and a 1 GB stick which might "slow" down performance. 2x2 GB sticks are matching sticks (obviously) but it kind of prevents any upgrading in the future.

What does everyone recommend? One 4 GB stick by itself or mixed with one of my 1 GB sticks I already have? Or two 2 GB sticks?

Thanks! I tried searching this, but I didn't see it in the results!

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It really shouldn't make a huge difference. You won't notice the performance difference between the matched and unmatched except in benchmarks, so I would just get whichever is cheaper unless you are planning on going to 8GB soon. Getting 2x2 wouldn't prevent an upgrade, although it would make it a bit more expensive. However, ram is relatively cheap right now, and getting cheaper, so that really shouldn't be too much of a worry.

3. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

i would do the 4gb, if possible do the 8gb altogether.

4. ZenErik macrumors 6502

If you're thinking of upgrading to an amount greater than 4 GB at some point, get a 4 GB stick. Or just get an 8 GB 2-pack right now. Can probably be had for about $120 if you look for the right deal.

5. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

I say go for one 4gb stick. If you plan or want to upgrade later then the 4gb stick would allow that and be less expensive because if you go with x2 2gb sticks you would haft to remove both and buy two new sticks to upgrade.

6. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I'm thinking of doing the same for my mid-2009 13" MBP 2.26. It looks like Crucial.com has a decent price for 4 GB sticks at $62.99. Anything better/more recommended out there?