MBP 13" and 15" Matte Display machines..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sparkie7, Aug 7, 2009.

1. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

2. ventro macrumors 6502a

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Fixed that for you. ;)

4. L0s7man macrumors 6502

*sigh* There was this rumour, but there seems to be no follow-up. Maybe October? Maybe never. Apple sux anyway ;-)

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

6. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The consensus is that apple will never again release the matte screen options. I will say that many of the same folks including yours truly said the same thing about FW and the MB and lo and behold apple added FW to the 13 rebranded MBP.

irregardless, I do thing the odds are not in your favor for seeing such a change in course with apple. The industry has for the most part moved to glossy. Apple's implementation of glossy is much better then their competitors. I was a big matte screen proponent, but after seeing the glossy screens on the MBP, I was won over. The reflections are not as bad as some folks make it out to be and you need to be smart in how you set up your office. Bright light from the rear will create more reflections so you adapt.

8. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Well its nice to see  does listen to its customers. Kudos Steve Jobs.

When can we expect the 13" matte to be released please? :D

9. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Never. 13" isn't really a "pro" machine.

10. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Why, b/c it doesn't have an ExpressCard slot or dual graphics or ?

Apple have sufficiently upgraded it from the MB to be a reasonably compelling Pro machine. With FW800 back, 8GB RAM, 6+ usable battery life, -- it ain't bad

11. MrZebra macrumors regular

12. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

ditto

13. derlockere macrumors member

Hey Folks!

I'm working with a glossy 15" (purchased mid June) equipped with a Power Support Anti-Glare film (http://www.powersupportusa.com/product/list/mac-book).

It is a big step forward and after two days you do not recognize the grainy stuff anymore (just for running windows in the VMWare with it's clear cut fonts).

When the 15" matte version came out I was really pissed off and wanted to have the matte option. I checked with a colleague having the 17" matte uMBP and in outdoor conditions the PS film is much less reflective then the original matte option :)

So a 13" uMBP with the film is really fine to work with! :thumb:

14. bjewett macrumors member

13" antiglare mac?

Add me to the list. I have a mac mini, which drives two (24" + 17") displays just fine, and it presumably has same video hardware as the 13" mac. Add the (HD)SD slot and plenty fast enough processor -

it is pro enough. Make it matte (ok, "antiglare"), and I'll buy. When I need a big display, I'll just hook it up.

C'mon apple, we'll pay $50 for the choice...

15. pesc macrumors regular

Why do so many people believe that "pros" (whatever that means) want laptops that are clunkier and less portable?

Office??? I thought we were talking about laptops, you know, portable laptops. What you use when you are NOT in office.

When I am at a desk, I always connect my laptop to a large matte screen and run in clamshell mode. At a desk I want my closed laptop to have a small footprint and be out of the way, of course.

16. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

almost november and still no matte/AG MBP 13"

i'm bummed. c'mon :apple: can we have them before xmas. please? :D

17. AaronX macrumors member

Can't you just add a matt screen protector? It'll be much cheaper than the Apple option, and it protects your screen as well. Screen protectors are REALLY hard to apply on laptop screens though.

18. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Tried that route and it sucked. Two different kinds.

I tried them both on my Air and they worked much better but didn't fit. My conclusion is it's the glass that makes them not as good an option as a matte display.

Apple will release a 13" version when everyone who's been holding out finally gives in and buys a glassy-gloss.

I know if a matte was introduced today, I'd be looking at offing my glassy for sure and buy one tomorrow. The glassy IMHO is the worst Apple blunder since the Mighty Mouse.

19. AaronX macrumors member

Oh you mean matt displays are inherently different? I always thought they were just the same as glossy, with an Apple applied matt layer.

20. XP Defector macrumors 6502

Have I gone back in time? I just ordered a 15" mattbook the other week