MBP 13, Applecare and HDD questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by barebackbadger8, Feb 27, 2011.

1. barebackbadger8 macrumors 6502

barebackbadger8

ok 100% decided on a MBP 13" now,but got a few questions:

1) my partners dad is going to get it for me through his business to save me paying VAT (tax) which is 20% in the uk, anyway if i buy applecare separate will i be ok registering it in my name, even though the laptop receipt will have her dads details on?

2) still on applecare, if i took my mbp in and they decided it was beyond repair and they issued me with a brand new mbp, what would then happen with the applecare do they then transfer the applecare over to the new mbp?

3) is the fan noise that noticeable on the new mbp 13

4) bit undecided on this, if i were to replace the 5400rpm hdd with the 7200rpm, how much difference would that make on accessing data etc?

5) also your opinions on ssd. read that ssd isnt that stable when in constant use which it would be on a computer. so why have the OSX etc on the ssd if it doesnt last that long?
    i ask because was going to take out the superdrive and put the stock hdd where that was, and use a 128gb ssd drive as the main drive but reading that it may not last long as sort of put me off

2. frunk macrumors member

I cannot answer the first two, but:

3) It's a nice speed bump :)

4) I'd keep at 7200 RPM if you want the speed. SSD's just aren't that cheap yet with a good amount of storage.

3. dnkbro macrumors regular

1)AppleCare is tied to the computer you are registering it on. It doesn't matter who bought the computer or who it was sold to. You can buy a MacBook, buy AppleCare and register it to your computer, then sell it on eBay. The eBay buyer would now have that computer with AppleCare because the AppleCare was tied to the computer.

2)Most of the time, they won't just give you a new MBP. I'm not sure on the answer, I'm assuming you would have to repurchase AppleCare on the new machine if they issued you a new computer

3)Unsure

4)If you plan on replacing the stock HDD, you probably want to go with an SSD instead of a 7200RPM drive. You won't see much difference from 5400 to 7200, the "upgrade" simply wouldn't be worth it.

5)The whole "SSDs don't last" argument is overblown. SSDs, although still fairly new technology, have progressed and matured significantly. Lion will support TRIM and your SSD should out-last your laptop by the time you upgrade to the latest and greatest. What you're talking about is the HDD caddy. In my opinion, that upgrade isn't worth it unless you have a boatload of media (music and movies) that you must have with you at all times. I'd much rather just replace the HDD with an SSD and have an external portable drive for my music, movies, and pictures.

4. barebackbadger8 thread starter macrumors 6502

barebackbadger8

thanks for quick replies.
    i looked on owc website and they do a kit, which includes the 120gb ssd, tools and the superdrive bay to replace the drive with a the ssd or hdd for about £200 including shipping which is stupidly cheap! and then get a caddy for superdrive to then use externally if need be
    was thinking of doing that, but like i said the reports/reviews that ssd aint that good for constant use as put me off.
    i know hdd's arent that reliable/stable but are cheap as chips to replace

5. barebackbadger8 thread starter macrumors 6502

barebackbadger8

not liking all the reports im reading on the fact the 13" i5/i7 fan is very loud!!
    i wonder what apples stance on this is?