MBP 13" as a Desktop PC replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by heyholetsgo, Jun 28, 2009.

1. heyholetsgo macrumors member

I'm thinking about buying a MBP 13" as a desktop PC replacement.(Probably linking it up with the LED Cinema Display...)
    My first concern, is the MBP13" capable playing FULL HD videos? Can somebody confirm that?
    And other than that, is the MBP 13" made for running 27/7, does it easily heat up?
    I wouldn't play games on, just watch some HD videos, use Office and Download stuff!

THX!

2. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

I have played 720p movies on my 15" on the 9400M with no problems. I haven't tried 1080p movies though. It should play fine..

I assume you mean 24/7. :p I usually have my computer on all day and only reboot when I install software that requires rebooting.

Edit: I just downloaded a 1080p trailer off Apple and it played on the 9400M with no lag whatsoever.

3. emt1 macrumors 65816

I currently have a 13" MBP, and I haven't had a desktop computer since about 2006. No problems here. Then again, I'm just a student...

4. kap09 macrumors 6502

Just replaced an iMac with a 13'' MBP as my main machine. It's been going surprisingly well, even with the reduced screen real estate.

The only issue I can see is the growing itch to pick up a display for using at home, but hardly a reason not to go for it.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I have not had a desktop computer in a decade and my current main computer bis a 15" MBP which does everything I ask it to do.

I see no reason why a 13" will not work as a desktop replacement and movies & videos should play perfectly well on it.

Cheers and good luck

6. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

Like the other posters, I too haven't had a desktop in a long time...since my iMac (see sig).

I've had a laptop since 2004 and don't plan on going back to a desktop ever again. Sure, I miss the raw power, but the CPU on my MBP sit idle about about 95% the majority of the time, so the trade off (portability, form factor etc) is just not worth it.

Hook it up to a nice big monitor and enjoy!

7. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007