MBP 13" base w/ apple ssd vs MBA "13 ultimate

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yizhimao, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Yizhimao macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148a)

I've been wanting to do a fair comparison between these 2: MBA13" ultimate vs MBP13" 2010 base w/ssd. Since both have relatively same graphics card, Which would be a better buy? Would you expect a similar difference for the current 2011 MBP 13" and the upcoming MBA 2011?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The MBP will have a good bit more CPU power, as well as the ability to upgrade RAM and HDD/SSD, and it has FW800 and ethernet ports, as well as Thunderbolt. The Air has about a pound and a half or so weight advantage with a better screen.

However, in the upcoming air, the CPU power will be much more comparable, but the GPU may not be as good, as the chips save power by downclocking the GPU a bit for the LV/ULV applications. It will likely have thunderbolt as well, but I would say for the average user, the MBP is a better bet. I'm not particularly interested in the air myself, as my 13" unibody is plenty small and light for me.

3. iMackPro macrumors 6502

i would take the Air over the Pro. Its a really fast machine and will do a lot of work for you, yeah encoding is faster on the Pro, but just play on the forums until its done :D

4. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

Well better buy? Macbook pro 13" w/ ssd. (2010 or 2011)

MBA Ultimate 13" costs $1730 + tax. (edu discount)
    MBP 2011 13" i5 costs $1500 + tax (edu discount)- thats with a SATA III ssd + 8 gb ram. You can save another $100-$300 depending on if you upgrade ram or which ssd you pick.

Also battery life on the MBP is better than on the MBA

5. TrollToddington macrumors 6502

This question has been asked to death. If you ask it in the MBP forum most of the answers will be: get the MBP. On the other hand, if you ask in the MBA forum the guys over there will try to convince how powerful the MBA is. Just give it a try.

There are fairly long topics on the MBA forum discussing the pros and cons of both MBA & MBP. It all comes down to what you need the laptop to do.