MBP 13" battery capacity: Where did I go wrong?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AnodizedFish, Jul 31, 2010.

1. AnodizedFish macrumors member

My mid 2009 13" MBP's current battery capacity:
    [​IMG]

I thought Apple said that it can go up to 1000 charge cycles before loosing 20% of its original charge. Is it because the battery is faulty or am I at fault?:( Today, the capacity fluctuated from 83% to 77% and then back to 79%. Well, something is wrong... or maybe it's just me...:confused:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. AnodizedFish thread starter macrumors member

4. AnodizedFish thread starter macrumors member

Okay... so I've calibrated my battery and it shows that my actual battery capacity now is only 81%... but isn't that too low for a 108 cycles?? Apple said 1000 cycles, so I my battery reached 80% after only 100+ cycles.
    I know that gaining back the lost capacity is practically impossible... at least if I know what I did wrong to make the battery's capacity go that low that quickly, I can sleep well tonight. :(

5. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

If it goes below 80% go back and ask for a replacement. If it doesn't, you can't do ****. Calibrating a battery too much just kills it even faster.

6. AnodizedFish thread starter macrumors member

Okay then, thanks for the replies! It's 80% today, hopefully I could replace it with a new one :D

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Is 88% left with 42 load cycles in 12 months good? My mb was purchased in Jan so I assume it was manufactured a year ago in regards to the 12 months

Or is this a defective batt? Seems like a quick drop off imo or is it normal? I calibrate it fairly often

8. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone

That doesn't seem like very many cycles. I already have 23 cycles and only on my first month ~ 96% health. I run off battery virtually every day so it'll be interesting to see how it holds up.

9. akbc macrumors 6502

Mid-2009 MBP, carry it outside quite often. And here's my status:

So, I'm kind of worried as well, but more worried about some of the previous posters...

Attached Files:

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It sounds like you don't run it on battery often enough, or you'd have more cycles by now. If you run it down to around 50% every 2 or 3 days, and if you calibrate once a month, you should have at least 60 cycles by now, preferably more.
    Yours looks fine. Again, be sure to calibrate, or the readings can't be trusted.