MBP 13" battery capacity: Where did I go wrong?

AnodizedFish

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
My mid 2009 13" MBP's current battery capacity:

I thought Apple said that it can go up to 1000 charge cycles before loosing 20% of its original charge. Is it because the battery is faulty or am I at fault?:( Today, the capacity fluctuated from 83% to 77% and then back to 79%. Well, something is wrong... or maybe it's just me...:confused:

AnodizedFish

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
Okay... so I've calibrated my battery and it shows that my actual battery capacity now is only 81%... but isn't that too low for a 108 cycles?? Apple said 1000 cycles, so I my battery reached 80% after only 100+ cycles.
I know that gaining back the lost capacity is practically impossible... at least if I know what I did wrong to make the battery's capacity go that low that quickly, I can sleep well tonight. :(

Comment

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
Okay... so I've calibrated my battery and it shows that my actual battery capacity now is only 81%... but isn't that too low for a 108 cycles?? Apple said 1000 cycles, so I my battery reached 80% after only 100+ cycles.
I know that gaining back the lost capacity is practically impossible... at least if I know what I did wrong to make the battery's capacity go that low that quickly, I can sleep well tonight. :(
If it goes below 80% go back and ask for a replacement. If it doesn't, you can't do ****. Calibrating a battery too much just kills it even faster.

Comment

AnodizedFish

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
Okay then, thanks for the replies! It's 80% today, hopefully I could replace it with a new one :D

Comment

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Is 88% left with 42 load cycles in 12 months good? My mb was purchased in Jan so I assume it was manufactured a year ago in regards to the 12 months

Or is this a defective batt? Seems like a quick drop off imo or is it normal? I calibrate it fairly often

Comment

arcite

macrumors 6502a
Is 88% left with 42 load cycles in 12 months good? My mb was purchased in Jan so I assume it was manufactured a year ago in regards to the 12 months

Or is this a defective batt? Seems like a quick drop off imo or is it normal? I calibrate it fairly often

That doesn't seem like very many cycles. I already have 23 cycles and only on my first month ~ 96% health. I run off battery virtually every day so it'll be interesting to see how it holds up.

Comment

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Is 88% left with 42 load cycles in 12 months good?
It sounds like you don't run it on battery often enough, or you'd have more cycles by now. If you run it down to around 50% every 2 or 3 days, and if you calibrate once a month, you should have at least 60 cycles by now, preferably more.
Mid-2009 MBP, carry it outside quite often. And here's my status:
So, I'm kind of worried as well, but more worried about some of the previous posters...
Yours looks fine. Again, be sure to calibrate, or the readings can't be trusted.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.