Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Polofiesta

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
I just bought my new MBP 13' and I was wondering what do I do with the battery. I booted it u and setup everything with just the battery but my battery is 84% charged. Does this mean I have a refurbished model or is this normal. This is my first time booting it and it was at 84%. And should I drain the battery or charge it to full?

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
It comes with a partial charge, as is standard practice by manufacturers. You can let it drain a bit or just charge it straight away.

DESNOS

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
The battery is always slightly below 100% when you get it. That's normal. You don't need to run it down first, just charge it to full. Make sure you do run it down every week or so to keep it healthy though, but there's no reason to when you first get it.

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
that's normal. no battery ships fully charged. you might wanna consider something smaller than a 13 foot pro, though... i've heard they aren't very portable. :p

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
that's normal. no battery ships fully charged. you might wanna consider something smaller than a 13 foot pro, though... i've heard they aren't very portable. :p

No, I think he means the model with a 3-year battery lifespan. After all, it has a 13 foot battery.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I just bought my new MBP 13' and I was wondering what do I do with the battery. I booted it u and setup everything with just the battery but my battery is 84% charged. Does this mean I have a refurbished model or is this normal. This is my first time booting it and it was at 84%. And should I drain the battery or charge it to full?
As already stated, that's normal. Just start using it. There's no need to drain it before charging. You can plug or unplug at any time. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

Polofiesta

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Yes I do own a 13 foot Laptop :) Lol sorry about that. But what I am doing now is I used it until about 15% battery and then I am charging it now to full and calibrating it to what apple specifies. Then every couple of months I will calibrate it.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Yes I do own a 13 foot Laptop :) Lol sorry about that. But what I am doing now is I used it until about 15% battery and then I am charging it now to full and calibrating it to what apple specifies. Then every couple of months I will calibrate it.
According to Apple, calibrating is no longer necessary on the newer models, I can't find the document at the moment, but it was on Apple's website.

Just use the thing, don't worry about it. I never took any special care of my battery and it's fine nearly 4 years down the road.

Polofiesta

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
I was in the process of calibrating it but the computer went to sleep since I didn't turn off the sleep. Does this ruin the calibration process and do I have to start again or do I just continue. It went to sleep at 99% charge. or could I just wait to the weekend and calibrate it then. Because apple and many other people say you cannot turn off you mac during the discharge.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I was in the process of calibrating it but the computer went to sleep since I didn't turn off the sleep. Does this ruin the calibration process and do I have to start again or do I just continue. It went to sleep at 99% charge. or could I just wait to the weekend and calibrate it then. Because apple and many other people say you cannot turn off you mac during the discharge.
You don't have to calibrate your battery, unless you suspect your battery readings are off. If you want to calibrate anyway, read the Battery FAQ under CALIBRATION to find a link to Caffeine, which will override your sleep settings.

Polofiesta

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Alright. So this is my second run and I am just going to run it down until i need to charge it. Then on the weekend I will calibrate because apple says to do it in the first week of your MBP as long as that doesn't affect my battery life. There are so many different answers on whether to calibrate or to not or that you can shut it off while discharging it etc. So I am just going to use it normally and calibrate it when I have time and not leaving it running just so it could run out of juice.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
apple says to do it in the first week of your MBP as long as that doesn't affect my battery life. There are so many different answers on whether to calibrate or to not or that you can shut it off while discharging it etc. So I am just going to use it normally and calibrate it when I have time and not leaving it running just so it could run out of juice.
Read the CALIBRATION section of the Battery FAQ. The first sentence in that section says:
The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries.
The article that links to says:
Portables with built-in batteries
Current Apple portable computer batteries are pre-calibrated and do not require the calibration procedure outlined in this article. These computers use batteries that should be replaced only by an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

MacBook
  • MacBook (13-inch, Late 2009) and later
MacBook Air
  • MacBook Air, all versions
MacBook Pro
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009) and later
  • MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2009) and later
  • MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2009) and later
If you take the time to actually read the Battery FAQ, you will have all your answers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.