MBP 13" best external back up solution....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Miamitreo, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Miamitreo macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I currently have a western digital 1TB external backup hard drive. I want to take advantage of the firewire port during back up's. What is the most economical solution to this situation.

Thanks

2. skiltrip macrumors 68030

OWC. (macsales.com). They have the best prices I've seen on external drives and really good quality stuff too.

A 1TB full size external with fw800, USB, eSATA connections is $147.

3. Miamitreo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I've browsed owc and thought maybe there was something a little less expensive. Looks like I'll be going with them again (purchased my 5000GB replacement drive for my macbook pro from them).

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Wait if you already have the hard drive and the firewire enclosure then you don't (necessarily) need to spend moar cash.

If you don't then , yeah, OWC enclosures are good; uses Oxford Chipsets and all that good stuff (crap firewire chipsets will cause problems).

If you already have the drive and the cable then programs such as Time Machine, CCC, Superduper ($), Retrospect ($$$$$$$), Data Backup 3 ($$$), and others will start to backup your machine.

You have oodles of choices in how to backup your data if the amount of data you need to backup is less than your storage capacity. You can do full, incremental or a hybrid approach depending on your needs.

5. fabregas macrumors newbie

You do not to pay more if you have firewire cable connected to your mac. If you want a faster & stable way to backup your data, a firewire hard drive dock is a nice choice, such as NewerTech or UNITEK firewire 800/400 docking station. BWT, Use coupon code social238 for 10% off on ESPOW.

6. PUMMYUK macrumors member

Can you give us a link for the 5Tb drive you had purchased? :p

7. Miamitreo thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry Typo..... 500GB replacement for the record :)

Thanks for the suggestions...

8. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

i like to back my MBP up to a time capsule and do bootable clones via CCC and SuperDuper. CCC for incremental back ups.

can never be too safe with backups imho