MBP 13" - Buy Now, or Wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by brgnewman, Oct 7, 2009.

  1. brgnewman macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    #1
    I purchased a Black MacBook back in May 2007 and recently this year I have watched it basically slowly die; I have ended up taking it in for repair after repair:
    Repair #1: New palm rest & superdrive
    Repair #2: Logic board repairs (not exactly sure what they did) and new heatsink
    Repair #3: Backlight began to randomly flicker, wireless card kept disconnecting (with multiple brand new routers) and other weird issues

    Because this retail store I bought it from was unable to service it the third time, and I had their extended warranty, I received a store credit for a MacBook equivalent to my stock MacBook specs (Roughly $1,200 CDN).

    Now, I made a stupid decision....I attempted to go back to PC (after realizing everything I was doing in post secondary was Microsoft based – Visio, Access, etc). I bought a Dell XPS 1340 with my store credit and put a copy of Windows 7 Pro x64 from MSDN right away on it.

    Let's put it this way; I lasted less than 2 weeks on that XPS before I relized that was a stupid decision, returned it, and got my store credit back.

    I am a student and I really do need a laptop for class. I want the upper end MBP 13” (C2D 2.53ghz, 4gb Mem, 250gb HD) but, is there any rumours or expectations for an upgrade to the MBP lineup before Christmas, or should I just buy one now?

    I did see this article, but it's hard to say if new ones would come out right before Christmas.
     
  2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

    MrCheeto

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2008
    #2
    Apple's notebooks and iPods roll out like clockwork, you're perfectly safe to buy now! :D

    Also, don't forget to be sure to go after the student discount which is usually like $200! :D
     
  3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #3
    Apple makes trying to predict revisions difficult because they want people to buy existing product lines as much as possible until the very last minute. You can theorize, speculate, logically deduct, and read rumor sites until you're blue in the face, but until Apple announces an update, it's just anyone's guess.

    If you truly need a computer now, buy the best one that you can. If you don't, then wait.

    If Apple comes out with a new system after you buy your mbp, your mbp won't become obsolete or work any less well than it did out of the box.

    What is the return period of the store you're buying it from?
     
  4. brgnewman thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    #4
    the return policy at this retail store is 14 days.
     
  5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

    ucfgrad93

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    Colorado
    #5
    Well said, and I agree completely.
     
  6. Gaelic2 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    Mountains of N. California
    #6
    This is the best advice you will get. Pay attention and just do it! There will always be a better one coming sometime down the line.Waiting for it can take a lifetime without the use of a MBP.;)
     
  7. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2009
    #7
    just buy now [​IMG] new ones will be a long way away and probably not a million times better... BUY NOW I TELL YOU LOL, you won't regret it whatever you do so long as it has an apple on the back of it you're safe [​IMG]
     

Share This Page