MBP 13 dead after switching SuperDrive with HDD.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kosaga, Aug 9, 2015.

1. kosaga, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015

kosaga macrumors newbie

So I just replaced the SuperDrive with that HDD Sata III Adapter (with the HDD of course) and my MBP doesn´t turn on anymore.
    Just a plain blackscreen, the fan does not work and there is no boot sound either.

I already tried to unplug the battery for a several hours and plug it back in. Nothing.
    Tried to start with the magsafe and unplugged battery. Nothing.
    Also tried a SMC Bypass. The fan is working but nothing else is.

The magsafe lights up in green when I plug it in. With or without connecting the battery.
    Although the MBP (13" Early 2011) doesn´t start up I hear a little noise when I´m upclose with my ear on the MBP whenever I press the power button.

Also I should mention that I connected an usb-stick before the first boot after I finished the SuperDrive replacement.
    On the first boot (not a SMC Bypass) the fan worked but the screen was black.

Hope that anyone can help me.
    Thanks in advance.

Greetings,

Steven

2. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

3. kosaga, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015

kosaga thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

Can´t seem to find anything here. Battery is unplugged on purpose.

I already tried: SuperDrive + SSD, HDD + SSD, Superdrive + HDD, SuperDrive + Nothing

Edit: Found out that the little noise comes from the SSD (SuperDrive + SSD constellation).
    When I take the SSD out and press the power button I hear only hear a tiny click or crack.

4. kosaga thread starter macrumors newbie

So, out of curiosity and mainly despair I removed the logic board and looked on the back of it to see, if there are any burned or suspicious areas.
    Maybe one of you sees anything...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

I did exactly the same thing when i swapped cases on my MBP13. The ribbon cable that plugs in beside the ram slot had to be PERFECT. It took a few goes but that fixed it. I hope in your case it's nothing serious.

6. kosaga thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats the cable for the loudspeaker isn´t it ?
    With perfect you mean perfectly fitting into the plug ?

7. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

It should be the keyboard ribbon, the one where you have to flip the latch.

8. kosaga thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried it several times with no success on booting.
    However, I did not touch that keyboard ribbon when switching the HDD with the SuperDrive so I don´t think that is the issue for this problem.
    Correct me if I´m wrong.
    How does an unplugged keyboard prevent the system from booting anyway ?

9. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

An unplugged keyboard means the power switch won't work, but a badly connecting one could cause some crazy symptoms.
    If it obviously isn't that then like azentropy said, completely remove the adapter and see if it works again. Otherwise i really couldn't say. Sorry

10. dannylillhtc macrumors member

dannylillhtc

its possible you didn't take the correct ESD precautions when working on your mac and you've given the logic board a static shock, causing it to fail, did you wear a grounded wrist band ?

11. kosaga thread starter macrumors newbie

I will do the replacement process tomorrow again and try to do it very neatly and correct.

@dannylillhtc In fact I did not take these ESD precautions hence I did not wear a grounded wrist band.
    What if I DID give the logicboard a static shock ? Would it be totally damaged ?

12. dannylillhtc macrumors member

dannylillhtc

I'm no expert in these things i just normally take the precautions due to good habits, its possible you could have damaged a component that is critical to the booting of the system, I'm not sure to be honest

13. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

sadly a number of things could have happened, with ESD being the most likely. even a faulty SSD adapter might have shorted something.

14. kosaga thread starter macrumors newbie

No way to fix it if it actually happened ? Well other than buying a new logic board of course...

15. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

the best thing to do now is just connect the display cable, the keyboard cable, the fan and the memory and see if it fires up. Then one at a time connect everything else if it did fire up. This way you know that the board is faulty.

16. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

Sounds to me like the motherboard may have been fried, this could be from ESD or the drive adapter you fitted as I have come across devices that have the potential for causing power surges.

17. kosaga thread starter macrumors newbie

I did this just now and it won't even boot with display, keyboard, fan and memory.

18. kosaga thread starter macrumors newbie

So.. nothing to do here except buying a new logicboard ?

19. Dead0k macrumors regular

try some 3rd party advanced apple service to diagnose the issue before buying a new one (if it necessary)

20. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

Not sure how that will help if the machine won't boot. OP will need to get hold of a logic board that is guaranteed working.