MBP 13" Differences

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fed, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Fed macrumors 6502

Having just been paid, I decided to jump the gun and buy the Retina MBP straight from the store. I've been using it all day and it has to be said: it's immense. However I'm finding it a little cumbersome to hold and starting to ponder my options.

I definitely can't get away with a MacBook Air and have been eyeing up a MBP for quite some time. At around April time I was so close to buying the 13" MBP then decided against it so I could get the new i7 line once it was refreshed. Therefore during the keynote, until they unveiled the retina-model, I was like "Right, off to the store tomorrow"... but the retina swayed me.

I've not had any of the unibody MBPs before (I've been using various Windows-based machines at work and MacBooks (now deprecated) in the past). Are there any known issues with the 2012 or previous years MBP 13"? Are they known to have the same "IR"/LG vs Samsung debates? Aside from the sleeker chassis and thermals, are there any other physical differences (e.g. materials, keyboard and etc).

Apologies for all of the questions. I've been woke up in the middle of the night by fighting neighbours and can't get back to sleep. Since then I've been pondering if I should return it tomorrow and go with the 13". I'll end the thread here... otherwise I could type forever on this keyboard. Thanks

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

It really depends on your needs.

The 13" MBP has basically the same build quality and materials as the other MBPs. It has a fairly low resolution screen for it's size these days at 1280x800. The 13" Air has a 1440x900 display. Coming from a Retina 15" that might feel a bit cramped.

The 13" also has only a dual core processor and no dedicated graphics chip, only the integrated Intel graphics.

Honestly if you don't have huge processing/graphics needs you might want to look at the 13" Air. It will have the SSD by default, has a bit higher resolution screen, and is even lighter than the 13" MBP.

There are also rumors of a 13" Retina model being released sometimes this fall.

3. Fed thread starter macrumors 6502

I can certainly live on the specs of the higher-end 13" but would have liked a quad-core processor. I've been using 1280x800 for quite a long time now and I'm in the market for a new external display as well, so resolution shouldn't be an issue.

The size of the Air is one of the reasons I immediately dismissed it - it seems very flimsy for my awkward/clumsy hands. So I've just about discounted that. I guess what would sway me to the 13" is the fact it's slightly more mobile (though I assume heavier?), I can get more bang for my buck with regards to I/O and the hard drive. I just don't want to sacrifice the beauty of the laptop itself but from what I've seen in-store, they're mostly identical (again, once you discount the newer chassis) with regards to materials used.

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

It sounds like the 13" MBP might be a good fit for you. It's basically the same weight as the 15" Retina model.

You would definitely notice the difference going from an SSD machine to one with a mechanical hard drive. You could always go the route of swapping the drive out for an SSD or have both an SSD and hard drive by removing the optical drive.

5. Fed, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012

Fed thread starter macrumors 6502

I did have that at the back of my mind. I've been a reader of these forums for a while and from my understanding, it makes a whole lot of difference. Again, prior to the keynote not long ago, it was always my intention to go with the cMBP and then perhaps swap in a SSD later down the line. I suppose all of the retina glitz just... confused me (that usually doesn't happen!).

Thanks for the help, by the way. I hadn't looked at the relative weights (just assumed) so had no idea it was the same weight. That's another point that has swayed me now. I just may take the plunge now. It just feels very weird being so amazingly impressed by something yet regretting the decision to buy it.

Also, I've just noticed when you Configure the 13", it doesn't show a matte/glossy display option - what does it come with?

6. Fed thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that.

With regards to moving the HDD to the optical drive bay and putting a SSD in its place, is only an SSD drive, caddy for HDD and enclosure for SuperDrive needed?

7. colloc macrumors member

I decided to go with a 13" MBP because I thought that:

a/ A SSD would make a larger difference to boot and shutdown speed mainly. App startup time difference are quite negligible to me. Considering I can sleep my MBP and resume within a sec I can't find a good reason to own a SSD yet. And I can upgrade it to a SSD anytime later. Plus, the larger HDD disk size means I don't have to plug in my external hard drive that often to copy files over, saving me some time too.

b/I would want to wait for 2nd or 3rd generation Retina MBP before going for one. I presume Apple do tend to upgrade/change their 1st generation techs quite a lot I think, until they find it fit and perfect then the design stops changing, like the design of MBAs and MBPs now. Look how much different the 1st generation Airs and 2nd generation Airs are.

Just my 2 cents.

8. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

If money or dimensions are a problem then go with the 13". Otherwise the retina is incredibly more powerful, slightly lighter (noticeable, just) and more than twice the resolution.

You also said you can just get away with the high end cpu on the 13. That to me doesn't sound like a good investment. Getting a quad core processor gives you plenty of leeway and less frustrations in the future.