MBP 13 early 2011 (A1278) recovery on SSD problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Michael Nikonov, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Michael Nikonov macrumors newbie

Hello everybody!
    I need your help and support

It's a long story.

What I have:
    1. Internal HDD with Mac OS that works normally
    2. External HDD with Time Machine copies
    3. SSD Sumsung 840 Pro 256GB
    4. Broken Sata3 cable that goes to HD bay
    5. Optibay that works normally
    6. External enclosure for 2,5" SATA3 to USB that works normally

What I need:
    Install Mac OS on SSD

My actions:

1. I put SSD in optical drive bay through optibay and tried to make a recovery by Time Machine copies - recovery always been stopped (max progress is 19%). SSD's been formated "Mac O S Extended (Journaled)" with a single GUID partition

2. SSD stayed in optical drive bay and HHD with Mac OS been connected via External enclosure. I tried to copy mac os ob SSD using Carbon Copy Cloner - copying always stopped (i tried several times - max progress is 11 GB been copied).
    SSD's been formated "Mac O S Extended (Journaled)" with a single GUID partition

3. I tried to re-install clean mac os from Recovery HD from boot menu - downloading passed with 2 errors and installing failed too (I tried two times - max progress is 10 minute remaining)

4. Between step 2 and step 3 I tried Time machine option again but I didn't formated SSD. Installing of the copies passed with a lot of errors "no such file or directory". somehow system been copied to SSD.... BUT it's always hanged. For example I tried to measure speed of the SSD - and system hanged. It always hanged after 1-2 minutes after starting.

Is this SSD problem or I was doing something wrong???
    Please support!!
    Thanks.

2. davidlv macrumors 65816

Install the SSD in the HD bay

Have you seen this?
    Quoted from OWC's HP:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DDAMBS0GB/

"Special compatibility notes related to use of this product with 6Gb/s SSDs in the following machines:
    2011 MacBook Pro 15" (Model ID MacBookPro8,2)
    2011 MacBook Pro 17" (Model ID MacBookPro8,3)
    OPTICAL BAY: The optical bay interface in these machines may either be SATA Revision 2.0 3Gb/s OR SATA Revision 3.0 6Gb/s. There is no way to specify/order this data interface with Apple, but you can confirm what interface/link speed version your optical bay offers via the Apple System Profiler.

Testing has demonstrated that Apple factory hardware does not reliably support a 6G (6Gb/s) Solid State Drive or Hard Disk Drive in the optical bay of 2011 MacBook Pros (ModeI ID8,1; 8,2; 8,3). If your OWC Data Doubler bundle comes with a 6G drive, you should ONLY install that drive in the main drive bay and utilize the Data Doubler to re-task your existing drive or install a new 3G SSD or HDD in the optical bay. PRE-2011 models can utilize a 6G drive in the optical bay, but will do so at a reduced 3G (3Gb/s) speed. 

2011 MacBook Pro 13" models: Apple does not support the use of 6Gb/s drives in the optical bay. While we have observed a high rate of success using SATA 3.0 6Gb/s drives in*Apple 13" bays where 6Gb/s link is present, some systems may not operate properly with this setup. For guaranteed reliability/compatibility, we suggest*6Gb/s drives be used in the main drive bay only, and 3Gb/s hard drives or SSDs be used in the optical bay when a two-drive configuration is desired. We*cannot guarantee proper or successful 6Gb/s drive operation in the Apple MacBook Pro 13" optical bay.

"

While this article is based on OWC's brand name SSDs, I think it also applies to any brand, the issue is the optical drive bay SATA is unreliable. :eek:
    So, reinstall the SSD in the HD bay, reformat it and then use Carbon Copy Cloner (demo mode for 1 month, well worth the cost after that) and clone your backup disk to the SSD. Select the startup disk in the System preferences and you should be OK. :cool:

3. Michael Nikonov thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, davidlv.

So the problem is in OptiBay.
    I'd love to put SSD in HD bay, but as I already told SATA3 cable that goes from logic board to HD bay is broken - I cannot see in disc utility any of HDD/SDD installed into HD bay.
    But HDD with the system is in optiBay now and I can see in Disc Uility that speed of serial ATA is 6 GBps. And everything works normally like it was when HDD been in HD bay (on the same speed).
    Furthermore even if the SSD is not going to work at a speed of 6 GBps, at least at a rate of 3 GBps it should work and the system should be installed in one of the above 3 ways?
    Or SSD do not work at all via SSD on macbook pro 12" early 2011???

4. alex0002 macrumors 6502

What I would do:
    1. Get a new SATA-3 cable. I'm pretty sure you can get them from amazon, ebay and other sources.
    2. Then as the previous message suggests, install the SSD in the HD bay.

5. Michael Nikonov, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

Michael Nikonov thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks alex0002

Yes, I already ordered sata3 cable. In 3-4 weeks should be with me.

but the question with compatibility of Optibay is still open - if this doesn't work at all I will wait until new cable come. If it does not reliably work - that I can keeping try to install because I don't want to wait so long;-)

6. Michael Nikonov thread starter macrumors newbie

Guys,

so I finally have new SATA3 cable with me. I change it - but the problem isn't solved -> I still cannot see any drive connected through SATA3 to logicboard cable.
    Maybe I've ordered bad cable on ebay or this problem is with LB?
    Is there any way to check LB "at home"?

Thank you!