MBP 13" - External Superdrive, high end internals??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iMacprobook, Apr 19, 2010.

1. iMacprobook macrumors member

Like many i was disappointed with Apples 13" refresh, and have been wondering why they cant offer a 13" without the optical drive. It is a part that personally i might use 3 or 4 times a year at most, installing software or putting a CD onto my ipod. This would clearly free up enough space to fit a higher spec CPU, i5/i7, with separate GPU. The Superdrive can be as of the MBA type, and left at home/office on the desk..

Any thoughts as to why this would not work, and whether its worth hoping Apple may do in the future?

2. col sandurz macrumors member

Interesting idea. Because a hard drive is smaller, a second hard drive could probably fit in the vacated space along side the iCore processor and GPU. However, I highly doubt Apple would even consider this simply because the MacBook Air exists. Too many of the mainstream customers would see it and ask, why would I get that when the MBA "does the same thing" and is lighter. Or it would be, "How come there's no disc drive?"

Despite how many on this forum feel, I really believe Apple thought the new 13" MBP through thoroughly. They achieved a delicate balance of power, capabilities, size, heat, and power usage. The thing is, they calculated this on the basis of the mainstream user. Most people who want a small laptop (you know, one that actually fits one's lap) really don't want it for the most intense programs, just the stuff you need to do on the go. Many people on this forum are more intense users (they're on a forum about their computer). So, they really want the capabilities offered by the 15 or 17". Or, Apple will sell them a nice desktop where they can do their more intensive work that doesn't really travel much, like midnight sessions of WarCraft. It all makes sense as a business model. Unfortunately, the potential audience of a power-horse, optical drive-less, 13" (that directly competes with the MBA) is too small in a business sense to justify the R&D.