MBP 13" fan constant at 2000rpm

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ilzen&Mac, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Ilzen&Mac macrumors newbie

Ilzen&Mac

Hi everyone,
    I've just got a new 13inch macbook pro and after replacing a hard drive to a bigger one I installed Snow leopard. Everything works smoothly, I would have nothing to complain about, but there's one thing that puzzles me:
    there is a not too loud but easily heard noise which I first thought used to be a hard drive I installed (WD 640Gb), however it turned out that the drive doesn't make noise at all and the sound is made by mbp's fan which, as iStat said, is constantly spinning at around 2000rpm, so my question is:
    since I had macbook air before, do pros have a different cooling system than airs one, or it's not normal to have fan constantly spinning? (MBA used to spin up it's fan on almost any easy task, however, I never heard it's fan on any light tasks such as web browsing or idling)
    :)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

2000rpm is the standard and default fan spinning speed on Unibody MBPs.

Without spinning fans the temperature would be much higher.

3. Ilzen&Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Ilzen&Mac

Thanks for a fast reply, it really calmed me down since I was afraid that there was something wrong with my laptop:)

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Nope, without any RPMs the fan would allow CPU temp would continue to climb, so it remains throttled at 2000 RPM's until you hit a certain threshold (mine is 70 degrees Celsius on my BlackBook) at which point the fans will operate at near maximum speed.

5. Z06jerry macrumors regular

You might want to check again, I think you'll find the whooshing sound is coming from the WD 640GB Scorpio Blue. I know because I tried the same hard drive and removed it because it was too noisey (sounded like a fan).

6. Ilzen&Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Ilzen&Mac

Nope, I've already checked it twice,
    sound is clearly heard when I put my ear near the cooling gap under the screen, while WD only silently scratches when it's reading something, but for me it is almost nothing, especially comparing with fan spins...

7. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

my bro just installed a Seagate 500GB 7200 and its silent. I was surprised because I expected it to be loud. He too was nervous about his fan. It runs 2000rpm @ 106F he said. HDD is a steady 80F.

8. Ilzen&Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Ilzen&Mac

Well, now I found out that the sound is actually produced by the HDD:eek:
    But the sounds comes from the backside and until I didn't put my ear straight to the case I was suspecting the poor fan(((
    Now I now that it is WD's noise, which is accompanied by the scratching reading/writing sounds...
    Well, then I'm sorry for bringing up the commonly discussed problem with fan-like WD's drives,
    thanks everyone for your suggestions, I've learnt new things about my pro however)