MBP 13" for Programming?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thebam, May 12, 2010.

1. thebam macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm a PC ;O)
    So, I currently have a ~4 years old 15" core duo notebook. I was looking around for a new one and started to contemplate buying a 13" MBP. What speaks for the MBP is the portability and I just like the thin and "blocky" (no fan slots a.s.o.) design and especially that it's the same height all over - I don't like the uneiform ones.

To cut to the chase. I would use it for programming (no daily business, but from time to time), besides other things (surfing, email, ..). Does anyone can tell me about his/her experience on developing on a 13" MBP? Screen resolution seams suboptimal, impact of C2D vs Core iX on 15", aptitude of the keyboard layout for programming, IDE, ...
    Languages: C/C++, OpenGL, SDL (and C# [Bootcamp Windows vs Virtual machine?])

p.s. What are you're experiences with LaTeX on a Mac?

Thanks for your help

Michael

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Screen size is more of a personal choice. I find it a bit small, but others do just fine.

About the same as in Windows or Linux, honestly.

3. schwap macrumors newbie

I haven't used a 13" mbp, however I have used a 12.5" Dell with the same native resolution. I found that IDEs like Eclipse or VS felt pretty claustrophobic. It's ok for doing a bit of editing but I didn't like doing major coding on it.

4. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

I use my 15 MBP for Programming Java.

I use the Netbeans IDE.

5. Sandford macrumors member

I would seriously think about programming with the glossy display! Your eyes could be very unhappy!

6. burp macrumors newbie

unless you're compiling huge projects,
    c2d works well.

latex is OK, i prefer MacTex to fink's latex.

the resolution was an issue for me though..

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

the only time I wished I had a larger screen (when I owned a 13" laptop) was when I was using photoshop or aperture. For development work, I really didn't think it was a huge deal.

8. anarchron macrumors member

I used to program on a 13" MacBook Air and recently upgraded to a 15" MacBook Pro. I would totally recommend going with a larger screen.

Although I could work with the 13" screen, the 15" is much better and provides sufficient real estate space to show everything and even the documentation window on occasions when I have to refer some obscure API method.

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Bear in mind that for the price of a 15" MacBook Pro you could get a 13" and a pretty decent 24-26" 1920x1200 monitor to use at your desk. That's what ultimately sold me on the 13". It's a bit cramped for programming on its own, but having a second monitor (only 1024x1280 at the moment) does help a lot.