MBP 13" Gaming - Intel HD3000 - The Old Republic on low settings?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Vader Was Frame, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Vader Was Frame macrumors newbie

So I was set on getting the new low-end MBP 13 but have been reading all the worry about Intel's integrated graphics with the HD 3000.

Not a huge gamer -- but I am interested in playing Star Wars: The Old Republic when it comes out Summer 2011 (via bootcamp). No specs released yet of course - but I'd like to play it on at least low-mid settings.

I'd be interested to see how the new 13 handles WoW. I'm thinking TOR will have some more requirements, but maybe on par for FPS required. Sounds like the Intel HD 3000 is going to have trouble even handling SCII and other new releases.

I'm not buying a MBP solely for gaming (now that is silly) -- but I want to avoid having two machines if I can get away with it. This would be my first mac. I'm on a dead PC desktop and have been waiting to make the switch. But the HD 3000 worries me.

And would jumping the $600 up to the 15" be worth it?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance ...

2. iTootyFrooty macrumors member

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-3000.37948.0.html

This gives loads of FPS rates for many different games at the bottom of the page, so you judge for yourself. As for the MBP 15 upgrade, I'd say it's worth it for the Quad Core and extra screen space but remember that the 6490m graphics card is only a bit, albeit noticeably, better than the 320m, which the Intel graphics are only a bit, albeit noticeably, worse than.

3. Chaggi macrumors member

Why not just get the laptop and then a $600 PC that could play The Old Republic? I know you said you don't want 2x comps but there's no way you can predict what the computer specs are gonna be.

If you're worried about it at all, then spring for it.

4. Vader Was Frame thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sheesh I may just grab the 13 and build a cheap gaming rig.

I'll see when more benchmarks come out.

Any others looking forward to The Old Republic?

5. legendp201 macrumors newbie

alternatives

I don't know if I am I bit late replying to this forum. but you can always see if you can get the 2010 15inch, the bottom of the line 15inch from 2010 uses the 330m 256mb wich is still faster than the new 6490m. the new one has a faster processor but that will not make much difference for gaming. the 6750m would blow the games out of the water (you could probably max everything) but that would add a further $400. my advise would be to see if you could get the 2010 15inch with 330m off eBay cheap.