MBP 13 getting slower boot? (Mac OS X Lion)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -LikesMac-, Oct 25, 2011.

1. -LikesMac- macrumors 6502

I notice that my MBP is taking longer to boot now. It's boot time is considerably different compared to when I first got the MBP 2 months ago. I've used up around 60GB of space (along with having a bootcamp partition on it that is 80GB.

What can I do to speed it's boot time up?

2. Wattser93 macrumors regular

SSD will speed it up. I just installed one in mine and from the Apple logo it takes 13 seconds (I timed it) until my desktop is functional. I have a slower SSD too, the Apple 512GB CTO option Toshiba (I didn't pay for it, I salvaged it) and it's wicked fast on start up.

Programs on startup may also be bogging it down.

3. -LikesMac- thread starter macrumors 6502

SSD will speed it up, yes but this option is not exactly viable for me at this time.

I do not have any programs on startup, with the exception of one program that is in the menu bar but isn't connected to a network on startup (so it's basically "off".)

4. -LikesMac- thread starter macrumors 6502

Return, with something new

Now my MBP did another weird thing. Today, I turned it on, but closed the lid on the MBP before it fully got into OS X (This works all the time). I went away for 10 minutes, then came back and opened the lid. The screen was still white, but 5 seconds later OS X came on.

This is weird. Usually it already be past OS X and waiting for me to do something by the time I came back.

~(Critical?) Now that I remember…I installed new flash player a week ago (I was on a different Space from safari and the notification came up to install flash player)…and then a few days later I read about this new malware that disguises as a flash player…:eek:

5. Wattser93 macrumors regular

Have you defragged it recently?

Even if that doesn't improve boot time, defragging is a good idea if you haven't done it recently. It seems to help "freshen up" the computer in my experience.

6. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

Thats a windows thing....

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1375?viewlocale=en_US

7. Wattser93 macrumors regular

I don't believe the "it's a windows thing".

People also claim OSX manages memory better than Windows but Lion has pretty bad memory leaks... OSX isn't perfect.

8. -LikesMac- thread starter macrumors 6502

Well then..

What is a good defragger for OS X? (I have never defragmented)