MBP 13" handles Starcraft 2 just fine

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chuckflip53, Aug 21, 2010.

1. chuckflip53 macrumors regular

2.4ghz C2D, 4GB RAM, 2010 MBP 13" unibody - I installed windows xp w/ sp2 via bootcamp.
    Then i installed Starcraft 2 onto bootcamp'ed windows and ran it using:
    - 1280x800 resolution
    - all graphics settings on medium (~75%)/low
    - all sound options on medium(~75%)/low

The bottom line is this: running Starcraft 2 on medium was a good experience. I do not get to see every single dust particle/armor chink nor do I hear individual footsteps/gust of wind. That's not my point- my point is that when I bought my MBP 13", i had no intentions of running a game like Starcraft 2 on it; at most I was expecting to play Minesweeper or Chess.

I was very surprised that the 13" handled SC2 like it did (lag is almost nonexistent except with the heaviest of scenes aka 60+ animations). The 13" MBP is powerful enough for any casual gamer, and I do NOT consider SC2 a casual game.

2. tigert07 macrumors regular

the 2010 macbooks continue to impress! I really can't wait to see what 2011 will bring.

3. Narse77 macrumors regular

Narse77

Yes under bootcamp it runs great on medium settings, I play alot of SC2 and WoW on the same MBP. I just wish they both ran better under OSX, I hate to have to boot into windows to game.

4. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

Of course it does in Bootcamp. We want it to run well in OSX.

5. Reeebo macrumors newbie

sadly, it will never be able to run well in mac osx because of the built in mouse acceleration. Even if you try disabling it with 3rd party programs like usb overdrive, the mouse still feels choppy and unresponsive.if you want to play competitively it will almost always be better to play in bootcamp and turn off mouse accel.

6. chuckflip53 thread starter macrumors regular

I was just about to ask actually - why does it run better under windows xp? is the mouse accel function the only thing impaired because wouldn't OSx have better video/audio drivers over windows xp running in bootcamp?

7. Tonsko macrumors 6502

Tonsko

What do you mean by competitively? Do you mean in an actual competition, or merely for fun on the internet in order to be in with a chance with someone at your level?

8. mdnz macrumors regular

Video card companies stick more time into optimizing their drivers on OSes people use most - Windows.

9. Narse77 macrumors regular

Narse77

Also most games are written for the Direct X API, so game makers have to change the API to OpenGL for the mac. I am sure the engines are not nearly as optimized for OpenGL as they are for Direct X.

10. Loptimist macrumors member

not what people use most, but where market competition exists.

11. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

They pretty much go hand in hand.

12. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

They do?

13. brandonb123 macrumors newbie

how did you run it in Xp SP2? I have XP bootcamped and it tells me I need Service Pack 3?