MBP 13" HDD decision

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fenix90, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Fenix90 macrumors newbie

Fenix90

I'm thinking of buying the 13" MBP 2.53GHz C2D and I thought of the idea of buying it as is with the warranty and buying a WD 500GB 5400RPM HDD separately. I did the math for configuring a MBP with the 500GB HDD option and one without it and adding the WD from Newegg on the side (Tax included). The difference came out to about $65. Is it worth paying a little more to have the 500GB HDD already installed and configured or do it myself. I already have a Snow Leopard copy my dad bought and I know how to mechanically install it. But my beef is that I heard you have to partition it a certain way or it won't work. I dunno if it's true or not. If anyone has a thought on this or personal experience on this subject, it would be greatly appreciated.

BTW: Yes I am aware that the MBP is WAY overdue for an update (thinking it'll be announced at the WWDC). I just want an opinion on the whether or not I should get the HDD separately or with the computer.:cool:

2. jawa12083 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch 2G 8GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I say do it yourself. Keep the apple stock HDD though, you can use it for backup or for an Optibay configuration

3. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

Seperate. It is a very quick, very easy process to install a hard drive in a MBP unibody. Save your money.

4. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Use that $65 and take your gf, mom, and dad out to the movies :D

5. Fenix90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Fenix90

HDD upgrade void warranty?

Another thing I was curious about is if I upgraded the HDD myself, would it void the AppleCare Protection Plan? I would hope that it wouldn't.:confused:

6. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

It doesn't void your warrantee. In fact the instructions on how to replace the hard drive and in the owners manual that comes with your new mbp.

I say do it yourself. Not only do you save money, but you get a spare disk drive (the original one that came in the mbp). Buy an external enclosure and put that spare drive in it.

7. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

It's way easy. Just get an external enclosure from Newegg as well, for like $10, and before you do the swap use disk utility to zero-out the HD using the 'Mac Journaled' option. The actual swap only takes a couple minutes. You could even put that extra $65 towards a 7200 rpm drive for some extra speed. :D

8. Fenix90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Fenix90

Any ideas on a good HDD with minimal power requirements?:D

9. kjaxplicit24 macrumors regular

Hitachi 500gb 7200 rpm on sale at newegg right now actually for $85

10. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

While I'm a big WD fan, the couple of WD Scorpio Black drives I've had have been noisy and vibrated. I'd go the Seagate or Hitachi 7200rpm disks, or just get a Scorpio Blue which are 5400rpm but are still a nice performing drive.

I love my SSD, but now my Pro is my only computer I'm finding I'm going to need more space soon, and I'm probably going to go for the Hitachi 7200rpm 500GB disk.

11. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

I bought the WD 320GB/7200 drive. I like it, but it's a bit noisy in a quiet room. I bought the Hitachi 7K500 drive too, but it was pretty much just as noisy plus I heard head-parking and didn't want to jump through the hoops to remove it, so it went back to Newegg. It's nice they just dropped the price. I bought it 2 weeks ago and it was $100 shipped.

12. davidlv macrumors 65816

Everyone has different opinions and in some cases experiences with the same drive in the same model MacBook Pro. Try one and if it doesn't work well swap it out. I had a bad eperience with a WD Scorpio Blue but a good one with a Seagate 7,200 rpm Momentus.
    It is best to keep the stock drive in case you have to send the computer in for repairs, some have reported APple swapping out the upgraded drive and replacing it with another stock drive!
    You can always use it in a cheap USB case for backup.

13. Fenix90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Fenix90

I'm looking more along the lines of something quiet and low power usage. I've been looking at some 5400rpm drives but I dunno which one to get.:confused:

14. PDE macrumors 68020

Check out hitachi travelstar 5k500.b -- good speed, quiet and extremely power efficient.

15. Fenix90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Fenix90