MBP 13" : HDD replacement => Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrispiyux, Oct 4, 2010.

1. chrispiyux macrumors newbie

Hi all, i need your advices.
    This week end, i replaced my stock HDD 250Go (Hitachi 5K500.B) by a Seagate Momentus 7200.4 500Go.
    First thing is that, unlike what's being said on many forums, this hard drive is a litte noisy, actually more than the stock one.
    But this is not the subject of my post.
    The issue is since i installed my new HDD, the MBP stays at least 10 seconds on the white screen before booting.
    Then after these 10 seconds, the apple logo appears and the MBP begins to boot. I thought it was just an issue at the first boot, but no.
    Even after several reboots, the thing is the same.
    Did someone already encounters this issue ?

Thanks
    Chris

2. sdinsider23 macrumors newbie

Make sure to set the start up disk to the new drive with mac os x on it inside the system preferences.

3. al2o3cr macrumors regular

The problem is that the system is still looking for the old disk. It waits a bit, then grabs the first bootable disk instead. To fix it, open up System Preferences, click on 'Startup Disk' and select the new drive as the startup disk.

4. chrispiyux thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot, that's was the issue !!!

Has anyone else noted the extra-noise with this HDD ?

5. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

6. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I got that exact same HDD - upgraded from my stock 250gb 5400rpm hitachi. I haven't experienced any noise issues, vibration, or noticeable battery drain. So far runs great for me.

7. chrispiyux thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not a good news for me....
    But, don't you hear a little noise ? You see before i replace the HDD, there was actually really no noise at all...but now, there is a little noise, not loud, but still a noise. A sort of a continous blow, certainly, the HDD spinning...

Don't you hear that ? Nobody hear it ? Do you think i have to call seagate support or after sales?

Thanks

8. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

The only way I hear noise is if I put my ear right about an inch or two away from the computer. I hear nothing while using it on my lap.

Is it possible this noise wasn't there before? Sure, but if there is a difference, it is so slight I haven't noticed it in regular use. Again, it takes me nearly placing my ear on the computer to pick up the noise.

9. chrispiyux thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, with the stock one, no noise was there...
    Maybe i'll contact seagate after sales...

10. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

I don't get how you don't understand that if something spins faster than it's counterpart, it's going to be louder..:rolleyes:

11. chrispiyux thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,
    i agree with you...but according to several people in many forums, they don't hear a difference beetween seagate and stock hard disk.
    More, see these specifications :
    http://www.span.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_512_629&products_id=25878

and

http://www.span.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_512_632&products_id=22250

Noise is the same for the 2 hard drives...That's why i can't understant why i hear so much mine....