MBP 13" Heat Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pr0grammer, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Pr0grammer macrumors newbie

Since I got my MBP 13" last September, I've been having problems with the CPU getting to worrying heat levels under normal use. With about 10 regular applications (e.g. Safari/Mail/iTunes) open and CPU usage around 20-25%, it runs at 60-65C, but when the CPU gets pushed up to 100% (normally by DirectoryService, if anyone can explain that then please respond as well), it get anywhere from 75C to 95+C (the highest I've seen was 103C during a Flash game). I use it on both my lap and on a desk, and both have similar results. smcFanControl doesn't help much; it frequently does this even when I keep the fan at 5000rpm. Does anyone have any experience with anything like this or have anything to suggest on how to keep it cooler?

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

If the small metal area above the F3 and F4 keys doesn't burn your fingerprints off, it's not going to splode.

However, it shouldn't be getting this hot running normal apps. I constantly run iChat, Skype, Mail, Safari and iTunes and it feels like most PC's do when they're asleep!

(I kinda find it sad that such big fat machines don't have better heat management, and when they try to solve it with higher rpm fans it just turns into a big hair dryer, even when it's idle!)

Are you certain you're not blocking the vent?

3. Pr0grammer thread starter macrumors newbie

The metal doesn't get painfully hot except on the underside, and the vent isn't blocked at all. (And ironically, the Windows laptop I came from actually had much better heat management than the MBP does, at least in terms of temperatures. It never got much above 70C under 100% load.)

Whenever the CPU goes way up it's almost always due to DirectoryService; judging by from what I've seen it's some sort of networking issue. Would using a hosts file block on ads have any chance of causing this?

4. Surely Guest

Surely

I don't have anything called DirectoryService running in my Activity Monitor.

Perhaps try running your MBP without the hosts file block to see if that stops your problem.

You shouldn't be running that hot (but don't worry, the MBP will shout down once it gets to 104° so that the CPU doesn't overheat).

5. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Yeah bru, I'm running Safari, iChat, iTunes, Mail, and Skype for a total of 13% cpu (average) and it's registering 30ºc, at least according to iStat.

What means of measuring are you using? I'm going to staple my palm to my forehead if you say "mercury thermometer".

6. Pr0grammer thread starter macrumors newbie

30C? I've never seen it get that low, even coming right out of sleep mode.

And no lol, I'm not that old-school. I use smcFanControl and iStat Menus; both of them report the same thing.

7. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

iStat, for some reason, doesn't allow me to see CPU temp, only Battery and Hard Drive...wtf? Anyway, my Battery reads 30ºc, and yours?

8. Surely Guest

Surely

30°C? I'd like to see a screenshot of that....

Are you perhaps talking about your HD temp?

9. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Link, because I don't know how to resize preview images :(

10. Surely Guest

Surely

If you use "shift-command-4", a crosshair appears, and then you can grab any part of the screen that you want.

I think that you may have your Battery temp in your menu bar instead of your CPU temp. If you go to your iStat menu preferences, and go to the 'Sensors' section, you'll see what you're displaying.

11. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Surely you would have known that I'm not THAT noobtacular...I took a complete screeny so that the entire setting could be understood without explaining what apps are running and what CPU percentage is being used so forth.

As I said, iStat only allows me to monitor Battery and Hard Drive temps...

12. Surely Guest

Surely

I use iStat Menus, and I have my CPU temp in the Menu bar. Here's a sufficient screen-capture:

Attached Files:

13. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Here's an even MOAR efficient sufficient shot!

Hiyaw!
    [​IMG]

No option for CPU on t3h MacBook Pro :(

14. Surely Guest

Surely

Funny, because I have a MacBook Pro, and the screenshot I posted is from my MacBook Pro.

MOAR ≠ more

15. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

13"?

Maybe because I'm using Snow Leopard? Is there some sort of option or checkbox to show moar options?

EDIT: Shook the idiot out of my brain and found this! I shall put it in my shiny box. Not only is it FOAR shiny things, but it itself is shiny!! ^.^

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BTW, sorry for the unintentional hijack, I'll pay the fare, honest!

16. Surely Guest

Surely

^^^^ Are you directing that meme at yourself?:confused:

13" MBP: check
    Snow Leopard: check
    iStat Menus shows CPU temp in Menu bar: check

moar still ≠more
    Really?