MBP 13" Heating..Again.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Polofiesta, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Polofiesta macrumors member

I know this is like the billionth forum about heat in the 2011 MBP. But I cannot find a definitive answer in lots of them. I have a 13" i5 MBP 2011. I just bought and have 12 more days to get a refund. I need to know about this heat. So at idle it is 40 degrees celsius. On just safari with a tab open like right now it is 46 degrees. Youtube HD = 60 and fan is 2000rpm. All throughout this my enclosure bases stay at 30 and also my HD says at around 31 and heatsink is 36.Now with nothing else running I was recording the screen in high quality with quicktime player it revved up to 4000rpm and 84 degrees with just that running. Is this normal? I still want to run FCP on this thing and wondering if it can't handle a screen recording then how will it handle FCP. I won't be rendering heavy videos on it but for learning purposes. I have 12 days to return and i don't mind returning it and getting a refund so I can wait for a newer version of the MBP. Please help thank you!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your temps are perfectly normal. Relax and enjoy your Mac!

The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor). iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your temps, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in your Mac, your temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload you're putting on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. Also, make sure you don't block the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
    Apple Portables: Operating temperature

Also, when people say "nothing else running", that's usually not true. Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what processes are running, even when you don't have a specific app open.

3. Polofiesta thread starter macrumors member

Alright thank you! Do you think FCP will run fine on this mac? I also will be doing programming. I just want this mac to last me a fair bit as I am a high school student who just spent 1300$ on a computer. I know it doesn't seem like a lot but it is for me. I can't afford to lose this 1 or 2 years down the road.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, FCP will run fine on any Mac model, even the mini.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Intel wouldn't let manufacturers allow such temperatures if they weren't safe. You're fine, just use the thing.

Anything recent will handle FCP fine, the only noticeable difference between models will be when you start using effects and renders. Also, editing on a 13" screen is going to suck big time, I'd invest in an external monitor if I were you. Wonder why a high school student needs FCP though... iMovie is plenty capable for basic tasks.

6. Polofiesta thread starter macrumors member

I already have an external monitor for FCP and other uses. So these are normal temperatures? When should I be worried about my temps? What is the maximum temperature?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, they are normal temperatures, as I already said. Did you even read my post? You don't need to worry about temps unless your Mac is shutting down from overheating. I posted the temps at which that happens.

8. Polofiesta thread starter macrumors member

Sorry I am a little caught up. You have been a great help. Thank you !

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

In order: Yes. Never. It'll shut itself down when it reaches it, which it likely never will.