MBP 13" - how quickly will it go out of date

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by purplerain, Oct 7, 2010.

1. purplerain macrumors newbie

Hi

I'm thinking about buying a 13" macbook pro. I was reading on a thread here that the current 13" MBP chip is being phased out in favour of a new chip (possibly Sandy Ridge?).

Does that mean that my machine (should I buy it) will have a limited shelf value and that Apple won't continue to support the hardware when updating the OS in the future etc.

In an ideal world, I'd wait for the new macs but I don't know how long I'd be waiting and I kind of need to get one fairly soon.

Thanks

2. X1Lightning macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Apple will keep supporting it for years. If you need or want it now, just go ahead and buy it. Most people won't notice the difference between C2D and iX.

4. citizenal macrumors regular

I second this, fiancee netbook took a crap, so she got a macbook pro 13 inch. If you need it, get it, if you can wait, get the updated version.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

You'll probably be ok as far as OS updates go, atleast for the 1-3 years.

You might miss out on features that are technically available on your hardware but Apple won't bother implementing on all but the latest machines (cough flashgpuacceleration cough).

6. purplerain thread starter macrumors newbie

1-3 years doesn't sound like much time - I'm buying the MBP to use for a 3 year CS degree.

How long do you think it will be before the next generation of MBP 13" is released?

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I'm talking sheer support from Apple, and perhaps it's slightly aggressive.

You'll still be able to dev on it for some time . It's not like it'll break as soon as you have no more warranty/3 years. If you are trying to push out usability, I'd either wait for the updated machine or get an i5 15 inch

8. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

OP, I have a 3 year old Macbook and it still supports the most current version of the OS, and is still very quick compared to other Windows laptops. If you need (or want) one then I would say get it. It will be a faithful companion for a years to come.

9. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd say you would be good on OS updates for a minimum of 5 or 6 years. The Core Duo macs are going on 5 years old and still fully supported, and the Core 2 Duo is barely four years, with full 64-bit support as well. Heck, the G4 was supported until a year ago, so I wouldn't worry about the OS updates.

10. purplerain thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying - that's really helpful to know. I guess I'll go ahead and order.