MBP 13" i5 2011 problems, after efi 2.2 update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gmc, Sep 25, 2011.

1. gmc macrumors newbie

gmc

Hello,
    I'm having some problems on my MBP 13" i5 early 2011 with OSX 10.7.1 , and I think all started after the recent 2.2 EFI update (before that, any of this happened).
    The first one is some kind of multicolor crazyness in the screen, I recorded a video with my iPhone to show it. I wasn't doing nothing special and suddenly the screen went that way (I recorded the video the second time it happened, so it wasn't just once). Then I have no other option than holding the power button to force the shut down, and there it comes the second problem: the led turns on, but the screen is black and OSX doesn't boot. I have to hold the power button and power on again like 4 times to finally boot normally. Also when I put the computer in Sleep mode it does not wake up, i have to start the process of holding the power button and turning it on 3 or 4 times again until it boots. Sometimes when booting it shows the progress bar it appears when you are updating EFI, it seems that it's installing the update again, but all the problems persist.
    I already tried to reset PRAM and SCM. As I said, it all started after the EFI 2.2 update released last week (well it was released along with some security update so can't tell if the problem was that one, but I think the EFI is a more serious business).
    Is anybody experiencing any similar problem? Any idea?

2. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Contact Apple. If they have you send it in for repair the turnaround time is usually less than a week. Apple even sends the shipping box to you.

Consider extended Applecare if you don't already have it. The LA Computer Co. has the best online prices. Avoid eBay unless you like getting ripped-off!

3. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

my empathy for your problem not withstanding, that screen craziness video is freaking cool.

It looks like the opening shot of a bad B-Movie comedy staring people from Saturday Night Live...

4. iSPARC macrumors newbie

I had the same exact problem with my early 2011 13" MBP. The 2.2 EFI update really screwed my system up and rendered it basically useless. My local Apple store took a look at it and determined the update didn't complete successfully and as a result my logic board was hosed. They replaced the logic board and hard drive, installed Lion, and gave me a working machine!

It sucks, but it seems this happened to a lot of people. If a SMC reset won't fix it, then the logic board must be replaced according to Apple.

5. gmc thread starter macrumors newbie

gmc

Thank you iSPARC, i googled a bit but I didn't find anyone with the same problem. I think I'll try to reinstall Lion, and then after seeing It doesn't work I'll go to my local store :(

I understand your feelings, but It's not as cool as it seems ;)

6. gmc, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011

gmc thread starter macrumors newbie

gmc

I have reinstalled Lion from the recovery partition and the 2nd time i booted the system the screen went into another kind of crazyness. I'm going to the store this afternoon :(

7. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

kinda looks like ur mbp is running some kind of screen diagnostics... odd...

let us know how it goes. that type of graphical glitch is a first time view for me.

8. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I did a little searching on the official Apple forums and more than a few folks have experienced problems that are apparently related to the 2.2 update, so at least you are not alone...

Perhaps you can gain some satisfaction from knowing that your post may have prevented others from experiencing the same fate.

I have placed the 2.2 EFI update on the Software Update ignore list. This is a good reminder to me that even official Apple updates should be treated with caution and if anything is likely to hose a Mac, it's a firmware glitch.

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up!

9. gmc thread starter macrumors newbie

gmc

Same diagnosys here, motherborad replaced. Next time I'll think twice before applying an EFI update :(

10. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

good to know. thanks!

11. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

So it's February 2012... Has Apple posted a 2.3 update or any information regarding the 2.2 problem?