MBP 13" i5 for programming

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by luke71933, Oct 31, 2012.

1. luke71933 macrumors member

Hi,
    I am about to buy a new laptop , I will be using it mainly for browsing chatting facebook youtube skype and the most I am going to do is heavy java programming,in future I will be developing games for iphone/ipad and maybe android. I am 14 years old studying java at school.Do you think the MBP 13" i5 base model no upgrades is good enough for me should I buy a windows laptop with higher specs. I really like the mac os and always wanted one, but they were a little expensive.I would like this laptop to be good for next 4-5 years,at least it won't lag in the future.I will install after effects and photoshop just to mess around with.I would like multi tasking example safari(youtube and facebook) and skype video call word processing and BlueJ open and it wont lag.
    So is the MacBook pro 13" i5 dual core base model good for me , I may upgrade in the future For SSD and 8gb ram.Also does this MBP have SATA III for SSD connection or will I have to disable the super drive to do so.

Thanks
    Luke

2. CocoSS macrumors member

Hi,

I think the 13'' base model upgraded as you say you will upgraded it with an SSD and 8GB will do just fine for your needs. I hope you will be happy with the display size, maybe hooking it up with an external display it's also something you should take care of.

3. Maczor macrumors regular

A lot worse notebook lasted me 6 years, but I can't say for sure that a 13" MBP will last you as long. Eventually the HD 4000 will get old and you won't be able to play too many games... you will still be able to do decent graphics / video stuff, but nothing extreme.

Ideally, I'd suggest you get one, try it out and if you think it's not good enough, then send it back and buy something else. Since you're so young, I'm not confident that you'd be able to properly test the machine and although you'd find it mega-cool at the moment, 4-5 years is a long time you know...

Hard to say... the only reason I'd tell you to go with it is that I doubt you'll be pushing it's limits extremely hard and because you want to give iOS development a shot. Otherwise, I would have suggested getting a cheaper PC and spending the saved money on something else...

4. leman macrumors 604

For your usage, I recommend you get an 13" MacBook Air. The performance is basically the same but you get more screen estate and better mobility.

5. luke71933 thread starter macrumors member

I have a 40" LED HDMI tv so no problem for display,my question is i will need it for 5 years , because then i'll be in university and if I'll like the macbook I'buy another one. will it be laggy as much that you wont resist using it, I dont like the MBA because no superdrive and not as good cpu as MBP.